Taylor Connect
    1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Taylor's Stories

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I noticed they don't have the stories up anymore for each song. Hopefully they just haven't finished the site and they'll be added later. If not here's the stories Taylor wrote for each song. I'll make a post for each album and have the songs together.

Since so many people want the Red Stories added to this thread I just went through Taylor's video and typed them up. Here's Taylor's Red Stories

Red Stories

State of Grace

State of Grace is a song that I wrote at the beginning process of making this album and I think it helps to define what the rest of the record was about just with one line. There's a line in that song that says love is a ruthless game unless you play it good and right. And that's kind of like a warning, you know, for the rest of the record. Like, this is what's going to happen if you don't play this right. And, uh, this is what could happen if you do. So it, uh, it almost serves as the perfect kind of warning label for the rest of the record. As soon as you hear that song you know it's like there are two ways this could go. You could, you could be good to people or you could, you know, not play fair. And both the outcomes are reflected on the record.

Red

Red is a song that I wrote halfway through writing this album and it changed what this album became. Because this song is about correlating different emotions to different colors. And, uh, it hit me all of a sudden that most of the emotions I'd felt in this process of making this album were, were red emotions. All the intense ones that, uh, the happy and the angry, you know, end of the spectrum and it really changed my outlook on where this record was going because to me this song is very different, very descriptive, uh, and it, and it has an edge to it that to me kind of expanded what I wanted to do.

Treacherous

Treacherous is a song that I wrote with Dan Wilson and I brought in this idea because I wanted to, I wanted to explore the idea that something could be dangerous and enticing at the same time. Um, you know, but the positive side of that like but I believe this can work, you know, it's um, it's got this big bridge at the end of it that kind of sounds like a second chorus. It's got all these, all these vocals in the background and it says nothing safe is worth the drive. And, to me that, that says so much about this album because, I really do feel that even if something hurt you, if it made you feel something it was worth it.

I Knew You Were Trouble

I Knew You Were Trouble was an idea that I got almost six months before I was scheduled to write with Max Martin and I emailed him and said I just got this idea, I can't wait to bring it to you. I know that we're not writing for a few months but I just, I need you to know I thought of this thing. I can't wait for you to hear it. And I have never written a song like that where, where it's like, it's not shame on you you broke my heart. It's shame on me you broke my heart. I saw the red flags from the first second. Ah, you feel so stupid. Um, but it's got that chaotic sound in it. It's got that really bold edge to it where the song sounds like that feeling felt.

All Too Well

The song All Too Well is a song that I wrote, it's the first song I wrote for this record actually. Um, and it kept coming back to me because it told a story so well in such a full way. Um, it starts with meeting someone and all the details about that innocent beginning and it follows the story all the way to the bitter end. And it's um, it's a really emotional song because it does show you why, why loss is so painful. Because it was once good. And you can remember it.

The song 22 is, um, is kind of an idea I got while I was on a plane. Um, and I, and I ran into the studio with Max Martin and Johan Shellback and I was like "You guys, listen to this.". And, um, hahaha, and they loved it too so we worked on it, and I wanted to write a song about what my summer had been like, with my friends. With that kind of attitude of like we are in our twenties and we don't know anything and it's awesome. You know, and it's, it's, it's kind of fun to embrace that. Um, and I, I've got to say that's probably one of the biggest choruses on the record.

I Almost Do

The song I Almost Do is a song I wrote about the conflict that you feel when you want to take someone back and you want to give it another try but you know you can't. And you can't because it's hurt you so, so deeply, that you know you couldn't bare to go through that again. And so you're sitting there and you're wondering where they are and you hope that they think about you and you're almost picking up the phone to call them, but, you just, but you can't. Um, so it's, it's an emotion that I think I needed to write the song in order to not call that person, actually. I think writing the song was what I did instead of picking up the phone.

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together was a song that I wrote with Max Martin and Johan Shellback, and, it happened really spontaneously while we were writing. This guy walked into the studio and he was friends with my ex and he made some comment about how we were probably going to get back together. He left. I went on a rant that sounded something like "And you know the thing is, we are never ever getting back together. Like ever. I am never going through that again. That was. Huh. Like ever. We are never getting back together.". And, haha, and, and Max looked at me and said "We have to write that.". And, we did , and as soon as I played it for anyone in my life that I trusted they, they just kept singing it over and over again. Got it stuck in their heads and um, and I'm really happy when I look out into a crowd of thousands of people singing the words back to me knowing that it came from such a spontaneous and fun thing.

Stay Stay Stay

The song Stay Stay Stay is, a song that I wrote based on what I've seen of real relationships where it's not perfect. There are moments where you're just so sick of that person and you get into a stupid fight and, um, you know, it's still worth it to stay in it. You know, because there's something about it that you can't live without. And it says, um, you know, in the bridge it says I'd like to hang out with you for my whole life. And I think that's probably the key to finding the one, is you just want to hang out with them forever.

The Last Time

The Last Time is the song I wrote with Gary Lightbody, of Snow Patrol. Um, I had always wanted to work with Snow Patrol. They're my favorite band. And, um, this was a song that I wrote about something I had been going through where, you've got, I picture like a door, you know, and you've got on the outside of the door standing outside in the cold is this guy who has left his girlfriend over and over again, and come back and asked for a second chance. Over and over and over again. And on the other side of the door you have this girl standing there with tears in her eyes wondering how she could possibly turn him away when she loves him this much but she can't get hurt again. And, it's both of these people swearing that this will be the last time. She's swearing it's the last time she's going to take him back. He swears it's the last time he's going to leave her. And hurt her. Um, so it's, it's a really intense song and I, I'm so proud to have Gary on the record.

Holy Ground

The song Holy Ground was a, a song that I wrote about, uh, the feeling I got after years had gone by, and I finally appreciated a past relationship. For what it was. Rather than being bitter about what it didn't end up being. And I was sitting there thinking about it after I'd just seen him and I just, I was just like you know what? That was good. It was, it was good having that in my life, and, um, I wrote this song and I immediately heard Jeff Bhasker's production. I had never worked with Jeff. But he has done some amazing work. I, I love what he's done on fun.'s record. And I love his diversity. He's just so talented and so I called him and I said I wrote this song. I really want you to work on it with me. And I played it for him. He was like let's go. This is great. And, and, he did such an amazing job on it.

Sad Beautiful Tragic

Sad Beautiful Tragic is a song that I wrote while I was on tour. And I was on a tour bus that was moving and I just started playing this really haunting, sad chorus. And it just kind of was very simple, like what a sad, beautiful, tragic love affair. And it was just reflecting on something that was lost. You know. And, you can't get it back. And, I went home and I called up Nathan Chapman and said "Hey, I wrote a song. Please, please, please, can we record today?". And of course he said yes and we used that original demo on the album because it just kind of came across so pure and raw.

The Lucky One

The Lucky One is a song that I wrote while I was in Australia. And, um, it kind of, it kind of talks about some of my fears. Um, through telling the story of other people that I was inspired by, um, but, you know, more than their stories being told I, I am, pretty much singing about what I'm scared of in that song. Ending up kind of caught up in this whole thing, and lonely. And feeling misunderstood. And, feeling like when people think you're lucky that, that you're really not. Um, so it kind of, it kind of expresses my greatest fear of, of having this not end up being fun anymore. Having it end up being, um, a scary place. And I, some people get there. Some people end up there. So, um, it, it's a story song and it's something I'm really proud of because it kind of goes to a place that I'm terrified of.

Everything Has Changed

Everything Has Changed is a song that I wrote with Ed Sheeran. And, he is such a talented person, in so many ways. He's such an incredibly talented guitar player. And singer. And songwriter. And performer. And, um, writing this song with him was so much fun because, you know, we, we were sitting in my backyard writing this song, and, um, he started singing harmony on it and I asked if he would record it with me as a duet because it's about this moment that both people are having where they see each other, and all of a sudden the world looks different. Because everything changed.

Starlight

Starlight is a song that I wrote, uh, actually, after seeing a picture of, uh, of Ethel and Bobby Kennedy when they were seventeen. I saw this picture about a year and a half ago and I didn't know anything about like what they were doing or what was going on in the picture but I just thought they look like they're having the best night. And, uh, um, and so I wrote this song about what the night might have been like. And, uh, I ended up meeting Ethel and going and playing for her. Playing it for her. And she just loved it. It was such a, a fun moment, when she was just in love with the song and so happy about it. And, um, it's just this adorable picture that, that to me just brought forth all these potentials for how that night could have been.

Begin Again

Begin Again is a song that I wrote about, um, getting through a breakup, and, and really being still kind of sad about it. And feeling a little insecure about all the things that that relationship made you feel were wrong with yourself. And, after months and months and months, having the courage to stand back up and dust yourself off, and, and go on that first date. And it's about, kind of, the vulnerabilty involved with that and the idea that you realize that, wow, this, this could be, this could be great. And maybe I don't have to be hurt anymore.

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

RE: Taylor's Stories

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Taylor Swift Story

Released in 2006, Taylor Swift, the self-titled debut, features fifteen total tracks including the hits "Tim McGraw," "Picture To Burn," "Teardrops on My Guitar," and "Our Song."

Tim McGraw Story

"This song means so much to me, that's why we wanted it to be the first track on the album. The idea for this song came to me in math class. I just started singing to myself 'When you think Tim McGraw.' The concept for this song hit me, because I was dating a guy who moved away, and it was going to be over for us. So I started thinking of things that I knew would remind him of me. The first thing that came to mind was that my favorite song is by Tim McGraw. After school, I went downtown, sat down at the piano, and wrote this with Liz Rose in fifteen minutes. It may be the best fifteen minutes I've ever experienced."

Picture To Burn Story

"Before I sing this song, I always try to tell the audience that I really do try to be a nice person...but if you break my heart, hurt my feelings, or are really mean to me, I'm going to write a song about you. Haha. This song is the perfect example."

Teardrops On My Guitar Story

"I used to have a huge crush on this guy, who would sit there every day talking to me about...another girl: how beautiful she was, how nice and smart and perfect she was. And I sat there and listened, never meaning it any of the times I said 'Oh, I'm so happy for you.' I guess this is a good example of how I let my feelings out in songs, and sometimes no other way. And I've never been afraid of using names. I love this song because of its honesty and vulnerability. To this day, they are still together and he has no idea about this song."

A Place In This World Story

"I wrote this song when I was thirteen and had just moved to Nashville. It was tough trying to find out how I was going to get where I wanted to go. I knew where I wanted to be, but I just didn't know how to get there. I'm really happy this is on the album, because I feel like I finally figured it out."

Cold As You Story

"I wrote this song with Liz, and I think the lyrics to this song are some of the best we've ever written. It's about that moment where you realize someone isn't at all who you thought they were, and that you've been trying to make excuses for someone who doesn't deserve them. And that some people are just never going to love you. We were halfway through writing this when I started singing 'And now that I'm sitting here thinking it through, I've never been anywhere cold as you'."

The Outside Story

"This is one of the first songs I ever wrote, and it talks about the very reason I ever started to write songs. It was when I was twelve years old, and a complete outcast at school. I was a lot different than all the other kids, and I never really knew why. I was taller, and sang country music at karaoke bars and festivals on weekends while other girls went to sleepovers. Some days I woke up not knowing if anyone was going to talk to me that day. I think every person comes to a point in their life when you have a long string of bad days. You can choose to let it drag you down, or you can find ways to rise above it. I came to the conclusion that even though people hadn't always been there for me, music had. It's strange to think how different my life would be right now if I had been one of the cool kids."

Tied Together With A Smile Story

"One of my best friends is absolutely beautiful. She goes to beauty pageants and wins everything. Girls want to be her and guys want to be with her. I wrote this song the day I found out about her eating disorder. It completely blew my mind, and this one was tough to write, because I wasn't just telling some sad story. This was real. This song is basically about the girls I know, and the difficult things I saw them go through. I've never seen this song as a lecture. It's really about how no matter what my friends go through, I'm always going to love them."

Stay Beautiful Story

"After hearing my songs, a lot of people ask me, 'How many boyfriends have you HAD?' And I always tell them that more of my songs come from observation than actual experience. In other words, you don't have to date someone to write a song about them. This is a song I wrote about a guy I never dated! Wow, right? Haha. This song is about a guy I thought was cute, and never really talked to him much. But something about him inspired this song, just watching him."

Should've Said No Story

"Just being a human being, I've realized that before every big problem you create for yourself, before every huge mess you have to clean up, there was a crucial moment where you could've just said no. This is a song I wrote about a guy who never should have cheated on me."

Mary's Song Story

"I wrote this song about a couple who lived next door to us. They'd been married forever and they came over one night for dinner, and were just so cute. They were talking about how they fell in love and got married, and how they met when they were just little kids. I thought it was so sweet, because you can go to the grocery store and read the tabloids, and see who's breaking up and cheating on each other (or just listen to some of my songs, haha). But it was really comforting to know that all I had to do was go home and look next door to see a perfect example of forever."

Our Song Story

I just sat down one day with my guitar and got in a groove, and went with it. I like to write about how music affects people, and this was fun to write because it's about a couple who DOESN'T have a song. I like the banjo and you really can't go wrong with banjo. I wanted it to be last on the album, because the last line of the chorus is 'play it again'. Let's hope people take it as a hint to go ahead and play the album again. Haha!"

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Fearless Story

This album is called "FEARLESS," and I guess I'd like to clarify why we chose that as the title. To me, "FEARLESS" is not the absence of fear. It's not being completely unafraid. To me, FEARLESS is having fears. FEARLESS is having doubts. Lots of them. To me, FEARLESS is living in spite of those things that scare you to death. FEARLESS is falling madly in love again, even though you've been hurt before. FEARLESS is walking into your freshmen year of high school at fifteen. FEARLESS is getting back up and fighting for what you want over and over again ... even though every time you've tried before, you've lost. It's FEARLESS to have that someday things will change. FEARLESS is having the courage to say goodbye to someone who only hurts you, even if you can't breathe without them. I think it's FEARLESS to fall for your best friend, even though he's in love with someone else. And when someone apologizes to you enough times for things they'll never stop doing, I think it's FEARLESS to stop believing them. It's FEARLESS to say, "you're NOT sorry", and walk away. I think loving someone despite what people think is FEARLESS. I think allowing yourself to cry on the bathroom floor is FEARLESS. Letting go is FEARLESS. Then, moving on and being alright... That's FEARLESS too. But no matter what love throws at you, you have to believe in it. You have to believe in love stories and prince charmings and happily ever after. That's why I write these songs. Because I think love is FEARLESS.

Fearless Story

This is a song about the fearlessness of falling in love. No matter how many break up songs you write, no matter how many times you get hurt, you will always fall in love again. When I wrote "Fearless," I wasn't dating anyone. I wasn't even in the beginning stages of dating anybody. I really was all by myself out on tour and I got this idea for a song about the best first date. I think sometimes when you're writing love songs, you don't write them about what you're going through at the moment, you write about what you wish you had. So, this song is about the best first date I haven't had yet.

Fifteen Story

I wrote this around the story line of my best friend from high school, Abigail. I started everything with the line "Abigail gave everything she had to a boy who changed his mind" and wrote everything else from that point, almost backwards. I just decided I really wanted to tell that story about our first year of high school because I felt in my freshman year, I grew up more than any year in my life so far.

Love Story Story

This is a song I wrote when I was dating a guy who wasn't exactly the popular choice. His situation was a little complicated, but I didn't care. I started this song with the line "This love is difficult, but it's real." When I wrote the ending to this song, I felt like it was the ending every girl wants to go with her love story. It's the ending that I want. You want a guy who doesn't care what anyone thinks, what anyone says. He just says, "Marry me, Juliet, I love you, and that's all I really know." It's sort of told in a character kind of thing, where it's Romeo and Juliet, and it's not me saying that I'm getting married or anything...but I think it's fun to write about it.

Hey Stephen Story

We were recording at John McBride's (Martina McBride's husband) studio and he was like, 'My kids are dying to meet you. Do you think that you could say hi to them?' I said, 'Sure, have them come and hang out while we're recording.' So his daughters and their friends from school -- there were about ten of them there -- they all came into the studio when we were recording "Hey Stephen" and they loved it. They were singing along with it by the end of it.

White Horse Story

I actually wasn't going to put this song on the album. I was going to wait for the third album because I really felt like we had the "sadness" represented on this record. Then my agency out in LA set up a meeting with executive producers Betsy Beers and Shonda Rhimes at Grey's Anatomy because that's my favorite show. It would just be a dream come true to have a song on it. So, I played them "White Horse." It was just me and my guitar and they freaked out. They loved it. They said, "We'll get back to you as soon as possible." For a while, we didn't know if we were going to put it on the record because if it wasn't going to be on the show, then we weren't going to put it on the album. Then they called and said they were very interested in the song. We recorded it right away, sent it off to them, and they put it in!

To me, "White Horse" is about what, in my opinion, is the most heart-breaking part of a break-up -- that moment when you realize that all the dreams you had, all those visions you had of being with this person, all that disappears. Everything after that moment is moving on.. But that initial moment of "Wow, it's over" is what I wrote "White Horse" about.

You Belong With Me Story

I came into the writing session with Liz Rose and said...I've got this idea. I had overheard a friend of mine talking to his girlfriend and he was completely on the defensive saying, "No, baby...I had to get off the phone really quickly...I tried to call you right back...Of course I love you. More than anything! Baby, I'm so sorry." She was just yelling at him! I felt so bad for him at that moment. So I came up with the first line "You're on the phone with your girlfriend, she's upset, going off about something that you said," and I ran that into the story line that I'm in love with him and he should be with me instead of her. It just became this whole picture. It was really fun for us to write the line, "She wears short skirts, I wear T-shirts."

Breathe Story

It's a song about having to say goodbye to somebody, but it never blames anybody. Sometimes that's the most difficult part. When it's nobody's fault. I was a huge fan of Colbie's record. When it came out, I fell in love with the way that she makes music. I contacted her management right away and I asked if I could write with her and, sure enough, Colbie had a date coming up in Nashville where she was going to be playing a show and she had the day off. I think she sounds beautiful on it. I'm so excited to have her voice on my album.

Tell Me Why Story

I'd been talking to a guy I've never "officially" dated. Sometimes it's the hardest thing when you have all these dreams of dating them, and you're getting close, but it doesn't work out. He would say things that would make me go, "Did you just say that?" It bothered me so much because he would say one thing and do another, do one thing and say another. Because he didn't know what he wanted, he would just play all these mind games.

So I went over to write with Liz and was just ranting and raving about how this guy is such a flake and such a jerk sometimes, and so cool other times. I was like, "Liz, I don't know what's up with this guy!" So I just started playing the beginning, "I took a chance, I took a shot. And you might think I'm bulletproof, but I'm not."

You're Not Sorry Story

It is about this guy who turned out to not be who I thought I was. He came across as prince charming. Well, it turned out prince charming had a lot of secrets that he didn't tell me about. And one by one, I would figure them out. I would find out who he really was. I wrote this when I was at the breaking point of, "You know what? Don't even think that you can keep on hurting me." It was to a point where I had to walk away.

The Way I Loved You Story

I got this idea for a song about being in a relationship with a nice guy who is punctual and opens up the door for you and brings you flowers...but you feel nothing. The whole time you're with him, you're thinking about the guy who was complicated and messy and frustrating.

So I brought that idea, the title and where I thought the song should go to John. He was able to relate to it because he is that complicated, frustrating messy guy in his relationships. We came at the song from different angles. It was just so cool to get in a room and write with him because he really is an incredible writer.

Forever & Always Story

"Forever & Always" is about when I was in a relationship with someone and I was just watching him slowly slip away. I didn't know why, because I wasn't doing anything different. I didn't do anything wrong. He was just fading. It's about the confusion and frustration of wondering why? What changed? When did it change? What did I do wrong? In this case, the guy I wrote it about ended up breaking up with me for another girl. Guess I know why he was fading...

The Best Day Story

I wrote this song on the road and didn't tell my mom about it. I decided that I was going to keep it a secret and give it to her as a surprise for Christmas. I wrote it in the summer and then recorded it secretly with the band in the studio. After it was done, I synched the song up to all these home videos of her, and my family.

She didn't even realize it was me singing until halfway through the song! She didn't have any idea that I could possibly write and record a song without her knowing about it. When she finally got it, she just started bawling her eyes out.

Change Story

At one point, I began to understand that it would be harder for me on a smaller record label to get to the places and accomplish the things that artists were accomplishing on bigger record labels. I realized that I wouldn't get favors pulled for me because there weren't any other artists on the label to pull favors from. It was going to be an uphill climb and all that I had to encourage me was the hope that someday things would change. That things would be different. After so many times of just saying that to myself over and over, I finally wrote it down in a song.

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Speak Now Story

'Speak now or forever hold your peace,' the words said by preachers at the end of wedding ceremonies all over the world, right before the vows. It's a last chance for protest, a moment that makes everyone's heart race, and a moment I've always been strangely fascinated by. So many fantasize about bursting into a church, saying what they'd kept inside for years like in the movies. In real life, it rarely happens.

Real life is a funny thing, you know. In real life, saying the right thing at the right moment is beyond crucial. So crucial, in fact, that most of us start to hesitate, for fear of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. But lately what I've begun to fear more than that is letting the moment pass without saying anything.

I think most of us fear reaching the end of our life, and looking back regretting the moments we didn't speak up. When we didn't say 'I love you.' When we should've said 'I'm sorry.' When we didn't stand up for ourselves or someone who needed help.

These songs are made up of words I didn't say when the moment was right in front of me. These songs are open letters. Each is written with a specific person in mind, telling them what I meant to tell them in person. To the beautiful boy whose heart I broke in December. To my first love who I never thought would be my first heartbreak. To my band. To a mean man I used to be afraid of. To someone who made my world very dark for a while. To a girl who stole something of mine. To someone I forgive for what he said in front of the whole world.

Mine Story

Lately I've had this bad habit of running away from love. Kind of getting to the place where it's about to commit, and then you just, like, run in the opposite direction. "Mine" is about the idea that I could find someone who would be the exception to that, someone who would be so sturdy and so much of a sure thing that I wouldn't run from it. Sometimes I look back on a lot of examples that I've seen of love, long term, and a lot of times it doesn't work out. There are goodbyes and people get really hurt, so I tend to be a little 'run-awayish.' But I'm never past hoping that at some point that could change.

This song is the first single because it has this...�¦there was this moment between Nathan and I, my producer, when I brought this song in and when we made this demo in one day in his basement and we just kinda looked at each other and we were like, "This is it. This is the one. All of the times that I've had "The Moment" with songs of "This is the one," it's been a good call, so I'm hoping for the best on this one. Wish me luck.

Sparks Fly Story

"Sparks Fly" is about falling for someone who you maybe shouldn't fall for, but you can't stop yourself because there's such a connection and chemistry. This is a song I wrote a few years ago and I have been working on it ever since. It's been awesome to see it change over the years. The fans have heard it before in concert, but there have been some really cool changes that I am very proud of and can't wait for them to hear.

Back To December Story

"Back to December" addresses a first for me, in that I've never apologized to someone in a song before. In the good, or bad, or the apology, the person I wrote the song for deserves this. This is about somebody who was incredible to me, just perfect to me in a relationship, and I was really careless with him, so these are the words that I would say to him -- that he deserves to hear.

Speak Now Story

This song was inspired by one of my friends who was telling me about her childhood sweetheart, crush guy. They were kind of together in high school and went their separate ways, and it was kind of understood that they were gonna get back together. Then, she one day comes in and tells me he's getting married. He had met this girl who was just this mean person who made him completely stop talking to all of his friends, cut off his family, had him like so completely isolated. And I just, kind of randomly, was like, "So, you gonna speak now?" She was like, "What do you mean?" And I was like "Oh, you know, like storm the church, speak now or forever hold your peace? I'll go with you. I'll play guitar. It would be great." She was just kind of laughing, and later on I just was wrapping my mind around that idea of how tragic it would be if someone you loved was marrying somebody else.

Later I had a dream about one of my ex-boyfriends getting married, and it just all came together that I needed to write this song about interrupting a wedding. For me, I like to think of it as good versus evil, and this girl is so completely painted as the evil one. So this is "Speak Now."

Dear John Story

The song "Dear John" is sort of like the last email you would ever send to someone that you used to be in a relationship with. Usually people write this venting last email to someone and they say everything that they want to say to that person, and then they usually don't send it. I guess by putting this song on the album I am pushing send.

Mean Story

The song "Mean" is about, well, when you do what I do, which is you put yourself out there for a lot of people to say whatever they want about it, there are a million different opinions from a million different people.

I get it that not everyone is going to like everything that you do, and I get that no matter what, you're going to be criticized for something. But I also get that there are different kinds of ways to criticize someone. There is constructive criticism. There's professional criticism. And then, there's just being mean. There's a line that you cross when you just start to attack everything about a person, and there's one guy who just crossed the line over and over again. Just being mean, and saying things that would ruin my day.

This happens... no matter what you do, no matter how old you are, no matter what your job is, no matter what your place is in life. There's always going to be someone who's just mean to you. Dealing with that is all you can control about that situation, how you handle it. "Mean" is about how I handle it, and sort of my mind set about this whole situation

The Story Of Us Story

The "Story of Us" is a song that I wrote about an awkward situation where, well... Let me just preface by saying that I have happened to run into exes in strange places lately. This is about one of those situations where the strange place that I ran into him was an awards show.

I was seated a couple of seats away from him and there was so much that needed to be said, and neither one of us was willing to say it. We were both acting like we were engaged in conversations with people that we don't even know. It was just miserable. I was telling my Mom about it later, and I said I felt like I was standing alone in a crowded room. And then I was like, "Gotta go. Bye!" And my Mom is used to that at this point so, that's what this song is about.

Never Grow Up Story

"Never Grow Up" is a song about the fact that I don't quite know how I feel about growing up. It's tricky. Growing up happens without you knowing it. Growing up is such a crazy concept because a lot of times when you were younger you wish you were older. I look out into a crowd every night and I see a lot of girls that are my age and going through exactly the same things as I'm going through. Every once in a while I look down and I see a little girl who is seven or eight, and I wish I could tell her all of this. There she is becoming who she is going to be and forming her thoughts and dreams and opinions. I wrote this song for those little girls.

Enchanted Story

I wrote "Enchanted" about a guy who I was enchanted to meet, obviously. He was somebody that I had talked to a couple of times on email, and then I was in New York and went to meet him.

I remember just the whole way home thinking, "I hope he's not in love with somebody." It was just wonderful, that feeling. Like, "Oh my gosh. Who's he with? Does he like me? Does he like somebody else? What does it mean?" I got home and he had emailed me and said something like, "Sorry I was so quiet. I was just wonderstruck meeting you." And so I incorporated the word wonderstruck, into the song as a, "Hey this one's sorta for you."

Better Than Revenge Story

The song "Better Than Revenge" is about a girl, who a few years ago, stole my boyfriend. I think she probably thought I forgot about it, but I didn't.

Innocent Story

The song "Innocent" is about something that really intensely affected me emotionally. It took a while to write this one. I was fortunate enough to get a chance to perform this song on the VMAs, and that's the first time that anyone ever heard it. Putting out an album called Speak Now where you're supposed to say what you feel when you know how you feel, I felt that performing that song on that particular award show was appropriate. I hope everybody likes this one.

Haunted Story

"Haunted" is about the moment that you realize the person you're in love with is drifting and fading fast. And you don't know what to do, but in that period of time, in that phase of love, where it's fading out, time moves so slowly. Everything hinges on what that last text message said, and you're realizing that he's kind of falling out of love. That's a really heartbreaking and tragic thing to go through, because the whole time you're trying to tell yourself it's not happening. I went through this, and I ended up waking up in the middle of the night writing this song about it.

I wanted the music and the orchestration to reflect the intensity of the emotion the song is about, so we recorded strings with Paul Buckmaster at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles. It was an amazing experience - recording this entire big, live string section that I think in the end really captured the intense, chaotic feeling of confusion I was looking for.

Last Kiss Story

The song "Last Kiss" is sort of like a letter to somebody. You say all of these desperate, hopeless feelings that you have after a breakup. Going through a breakup you feel all of these different things. You feel anger, and you feel confusion, and frustration. Then there is the absolute sadness. The sadness of losing this person, losing all the memories, and the hopes you had for the future. There are times when you have this moment of truth where you just admit to yourself that you miss all these things. When I was in one of those moments I wrote this song.

Long Live Story

"Long Live," (in parentheses "We Will Be Remembered"), is the first song where I've ever had parentheses in the title. Besides that, though, this song is about my band, and my producer, and all the people who have helped us build this brick by brick. The fans, the people who I feel that we are all in this together, this song talks about the triumphant moments that we've had in the last two years. We've had times where we just jump up and down, and dance like we don't care how we're dancing, and just scream at the top of our lungs, "How is this happening?" And, I feel very lucky to even have had one of those moments, nonetheless all the ones that I got to have.

"Long Live" is about how I feel reflecting on it. This song for me is like looking at a photo album of all the award shows, and all the stadium shows, and all the hands in the air in the crowd. It's sort of the first love song that I've written to my team.

Ours Story

"I wrote this when I was about to turn 20. I was in a relationship I knew people wouldn't approve of, and it was just a matter of time before everyone found out. When you're first getting to know someone, it's a fragile time, and then you add newspapers and magazine covers and it can get kind of rough. I wanted to have this song to play for him when it got difficult. Singing it for him was one of the sweetest moments I can remember."

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:41 AM

i hope these get added to the site again too
    -o--------------------o---------------
    ^me
    ProudUKSwiftie
    avata

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Emma wrote:
    i hope these get added to the site again too
    -o--------------------o---------------
    ^me
    ProudUKSwiftie
    avata

If they don't they're here now. I got all of these from the old site. I joined TC less than a month before it was taken down. One of my favorite parts of the whole site was these stories Taylor wrote about her songs. You can learn a lot about the songs just reading them.

1. Moderator

Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Thanks for posting these again.

Thanks to Kerri for the sig!!

Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for posting these! I loved reading them on the old site.
    -------------

Credit to ShiningLikeFireworks13 for the avatar and signature. Thanks!

Formerly known as lovexdance

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Since there's a lot of new people on here since I posted this I figured I'd bring it back up. They don't have Taylor's stories for her songs on the site anymore so I created this thread and put them all here.

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Thank you so much for posting these, I'll make sure saving them now. I use to read them daily on the old site and I was like NOOOOOO when I saw they were gone and I didnt't sav them, so thank you!!!

Will be remembered: Audriux3Accon
    Avi: TaylorSwiftFan

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

TaylorFanM wrote:
    Thank you so much for posting these, I'll make sure saving them now. I use to read them daily on the old site and I was like NOOOOOO when I saw they were gone and I didnt't sav them, so thank you!!!

Will be remembered: Audriux3Accon
    Avi: TaylorSwiftFan

They were one of my favorite parts of Taylor's site too. I'm surprised they didn't put them on the site. They should either sticky this thread or add them to the site. I had to do a search just to find my thread.

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

thank you so so much for posting that!!
    i was actually really sad that the stories weren't on this new TC, but- guess i dont have to be sad anymore ;)

i love reading these little stories and know the background for Taylor's songs..

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for posting! I hope they get the stories back up!

^Made by Estelle!

^Made by Madison13!

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM

i LOVE reading these! thanks SO MUCH for posting!!! :)
    ----------------------------------

credit: TheThirteenthFan/ animated by

Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM

That's awesome,thanks a lot Brian :)

Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 2:00 AM

i love what Taylor wrote about Fearless and Speak Now.. so inspiring! :)
    thanks again for posting this!
    _______
    ~Stay Beautiful, be Fearless and Remember the moment~

A proud Swiftie since 2008 :)

Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Since Taylor told the story behind Ours I added it up above to the end of the Speak Now stories. It's below on this post too. It's too bad Taylor has to go through so much like she did that caused her to write this song. At least we got another great song though. Ours is one of my favorite songs.

Ours Story

"I wrote this when I was about to turn 20. I was in a relationship I knew people wouldn't approve of, and it was just a matter of time before everyone found out. When you're first getting to know someone, it's a fragile time, and then you add newspapers and magazine covers and it can get kind of rough. I wanted to have this song to play for him when it got difficult. Singing it for him was one of the sweetest moments I can remember."

Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I love the meaning behind each song!

Love, Love, Love
    -M-

Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Wow! Thanx!

taylorfan4ever&always

Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Thanks for posting these!! I absolutely love Ours.
    Swiftie forever!

Thanks FearlesslyEnchanted!

Tha

Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Here's an interesting site. They posted Taylor's songs with the lyrics and give a short story about them. My list is the ones that used to be on TC. This site has some stories that weren't on TC. Maybe they got them from interviews in the past with Taylor.

Here's the link.

Big Machine Records

Visit www.OnGuardOnline.gov for social networking safety tips for parents and youth.