1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

I'm so pleased...

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

So sometime last week I was looking for something to watch and Storytellers: Taylor Swift was on. Now at that point I was certainly not a Taylor Swift fan. It's not a knock on her, as I knew she wrote her own music and was just a generally wonderful person, it's just her music is really so girl-centric that a guy in his mid-twenties like myself finds it hard to get into her songs. Anyway, I figured the actual "storytelling" part of the show would be cool so I watched it. Over the hour and a half that it was on, I heard a couple songs that really peaked my interest. I think they were Red and Begin Again.

So I decided to investigate and look into Taylor Swift music. I love music and I definitely love being wrong about overlooking an artist. Upon looking I found myself to be both disappointed and happy at the same time. Disappointed because my previous fears of her music being mostly girl-centric were confirmed. But more importantly I was happy to find that a large amount of the songs that I DID enjoy were off of Red (Begin Again, Red, All too Well, Sad Beautiful Tragic)

So what's my point? My point is that I think Taylor is finally learning how to write real l music that communicates deep universal emotions rather than how a lot of her songs are written based off immature "omg that guy is so cute and I wish I could date him" feelings. I wouldn't call myself a Taylor Swift fan quite yet since I only like a handful of songs, but if she wants to keep evolving like this, I'm going to be a very happy music loving dude by the time her next album comes out :)

Also, I realize the above paragraph sounds a little "judgy" and that's really not my intent. If you can connect with Swift's earlier songs, more power to ya. They really are good songs, they're just not for everyone.

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: I'm so pleased...

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

When it comes to music i have a black/white vision.
    Because 1st off the song needs to sound amazing and blow me away.
    2nd come the lyrics and the whole story what the song is about.

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Personally I feel that she had songs on her first album that where mature lyrically and communicated "deep universal emotions" that you are referring to. However, I've always thought that her music, especially at the beginning of her career, that achieves the most attention is the songs that are immature and all about the whimsical false hope of love that young girls have. For example Our Song, I like the song but it is very cheesy and seems like something a 15 year old girl would write. But there are other songs from that album that were not singles and therefore are less known to the general public like "Cold as You" that are based off of less immature feelings. My point is I think Taylor has always had both mature and immature songs on every album but the ones people cling to are the immature ones.

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I agree with the comment above me.

http://taylorswift.com/forum/fan_made_graphics/2264922
    My graphic shop ^

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

I haven't seen VH1 Storytellers yet but I can imagine they probably chose to play her big hits from the other albums and concentrate more on her new stuff, hence why it might seem like all her previous songs were about boys. Maybe look up her other albums sometime, they might suprise you :)

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I second what Clueless says above. For example, I'd recommend the songs Haunted, Mean, and Innocent from Speak Now. Those are definitely not "gosh that boy is so cute" songs. It sounds like you still have a lot of listening to do! Enjoy!
    Illinois Country Fan

Thanks to Cali for the graphics!

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Welcome to the world of Taylor Swift music :) Definatley give some of her songs from Speak Now ago too :) For example Long Live isn't a "gosh that boy is so cute" song :)

Thankyou to 1) Me 2) the amazing heleh 3) the talented playfu

Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Welcome to the world of Taylor!

Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Welcome to Taylor Connect!! As R3BECC4 said There is a lot of songs Taylor has on albums that have mature lyrics that aren't all about "Oh that boy is cute" She has always had a mixture of fun girly music and music that is mature and serious....its just they weren't all played on the radio. I suggest you give all of Taylor's albums a try and look at the songs that weren't singles some are very very good! But, anyways welcome and I hope you fall in Love with Miss Swift as we all have on here!! [=

Credit to MAZ and Daya for the signatures!!