1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

The Lucky One

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

So I know a lot of Swifties talking about this track. As a side note, I love this song, I just really love it... but anyway, I know there are lots of theories as to who its about, so I am going to add to it! Haha.

Okay, so I don't really think it is about Zac Efron at all, despite the title, but I know before it was release a few Swifties thought it may be.

The title 'The Lucky One' is exactly what it sounds like 'Lucky.' I think that is the primary idea behind it.

I know Swifties have said 'It's not about anyone, its just about Taylor,' (And I have seen the interview, so I know she mentions that she says it is about her biggest fear. But her biggest fear is being forgot, just like stars before her)
And if its only about her then why is the secret message: 'Wouldn't You Like To Know' ?

I think Taylor is referring to her own journey; but in reference to the journey (s) of one/more famous people. (In my opinion, probably more than one, since the content changes so drastically.)

So I got a bit into this and did some lyrics annotations :P
I am an English nerd, through and through!

'New to town with a made up name in the angel city'- So obviously new to town, in the 'Angel City,' Los Angeles?
'Another name goes up in lights. You wonder if you'll make it out alive' - There's always someone to replace you in the industry and you just wonder if the press will give you a chance to leave unscathed.
'Chose the Rose Garden over Madison Square' - This doesn't have to be literal, as in this particular star chose the simpler way of life over the city and fame.
'Let me tell you now, you're the lucky one' - Being blessed with the career she has, that lots of celebrities have, that not every is as lucky to make it.

So I'll leave the rest up to you, Swifties! I am not going to give away who I think its about; but yeah Feel free to question away!
Add me - all you have to do be my friend is like me and my posts! :D

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: The Lucky One

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I have no idea who it's about, but it's my fave song on the album so i want to know, haha

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

this is what i found of the internet of what someone thinks it is about....

"The Lucky One" is about a singer or a movie star whose fame burned out a little bit quickly after her secrets ended up in tabloids and she was replaced by younger, prettier versions of herself. The code words are WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO KNOW, so there aren't many hints here, except that the celeb in question uses a stage name and spent some time on the French Riviera. Our best guess is that it's a made-up Marilyn Monroe sort. Taylor seems the type to have a vivid imagination.

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Awesome analyzing. I love how Taylor made the secret message to be "Wouldn't You Like To Know." The message depicts the whole theme of the song. How the whole world is so interested in a famous person's life and wants to know everything about it. Well, taylor made the secret message to reflect that idea and to kinda give a message saying "SEE! By reading this, it is proof that people ARE obsessed with knowing everything about famous people--even what their songs are about"

made by iwasascarletletter

made by iwasascarletletter

Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM

it reminds me of such famous people as Marylin, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Princess Diana .... i Mean there megastars yet are they truly happy?
    [imghttp://ewpopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/gimmegimme_l_2.jpg

Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM

The made up name thing had me thinking of Marilyn Monroe but honestly I think it's going to be a combination of well known people and maybe also based on conversations she's had with some of her friends too.

Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I think the lyrics best stack up to either Joni Mitchell or Shania Twain. But it's fun to see who it reminds other people of as well. I have a feeling this is one we might never know the truth behind.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kxh3j4QDDb1qzl4vco1_500.jpg

"The Lucky One" Who is it about?

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Does anyone know who "The Lucky One" is about? (The one on Red)
    Loving Taylor is RED!

I get my puppy in 0 days!!!!!!!! I HAVE MOLLY!!!
    RED day is here! What do you think about it?
    taylor swift the lucky one by Alyssa_

The Lucky One: Whitney?

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ok, you know how Taylor said The Lucky One is partly about her fears as a celebrity, and also her influences?

I think I figured out an influence.

Whitney Houston.

Here we go:

New to town with a made-up name (I think this part might be about Joni Mitchell because she did have a made-up name)
    In the angel's city chasing fortune and fame (By 'angel's' Taylor might mean church, where Whitney preformed a lot)
    And the camera flashes make it look like a dream (She might mean seeing Whitney as a bystander as she watched some of her famous family members be, well, famous and want to be a singer too)
    You had it figured out since you were in school
    Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool (She had a reputation when she was famous for being pretty)
    And overnight, you look like a 60s queen (She grew up in the 60s)

And my name goes up in lights
    Like diamonds in the sky

And they tell you now you're the lucky one
    Yeah they'll tell you now you're the lucky one
    But can you tell me now you're the lucky one?
    Oh, oh, oh...

Now it's big black cars and Riviera views
    And your lover in the foyer doesn't even know you (She had a lot of short-term flings with guys such as Eddie Murphy and Randall Cunningham)
    And your secrets end up splashed on the news front page (Her privacy was always invaded, the same with all celebrities)

And they tell you that your lucky, but you're so confused
    Cuz you don't feel pretty, you just feel used (She had personal struggles and stopped eating at one point)
    And all the young things line up to take your place (She was the STAR of her generation, and even to those younger)

And as the name goes up in lights
    You wonder if you'll make it out alive

And they tell you now you're the lucky one
    Yeah they'll tell you now you're the lucky one
    But can you tell me now you're the lucky one?
    Oh, oh, oh...

It was a few years later, I showed up here (Maybe she's addressing the time after Whitney turned to drugs and her voice plummeted)
    And they still tell the legend of how you disappeared (Whitney got a divorce, and her career was in turmoil at one point)
    They took your money and your dignity and got the hell out (She turned to drugs, like I said, and they kind of ruined her career. Maybe 'they' is drugs?)
    They say you bought a bunch of land somewhere (Maybe it's a reference to death? A cemetery?)
    Chose the rose garden over Madison Square (Maybe Taylor means heaven, or an afterlife reference, instead of choosing an alternate lifestyle instead of fame?)
    And it took some time, but I understand it now (Maybe Taylor didn't understand why Whitney took the drugs and died, but now she gets that Whitney was under a lot of stress, but she still didn't totally get why Whitney would do that to life. Ruin it.)

Cuz now my name is up in lights
    But I think you got it right... (If Whitney was an influence to Taylor, as she is to a lot of singers, maybe she's kind of commending Whitney on a job while done while she was famous?)

Let me tell you now you're the lucky one...(Maybe she means Whitney was lucky for her fame)
    Let me tell you now you're the lucky one...
    Let me tell you now you're the lucky one...
    Oh, oh, oh...
    Yeah, they'll tell you now, you're the lucky one (Maybe she's addressing Whitney's fans, who all mourned like crazy after she passed away)
    Yeah, they'll tell you now, you're the lucky one
    Oh, oh, whoa whoa..

What do you guys think? Just an observation!

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

October 22nd, this world will turn RED

I say no to b

Re: The Lucky One: REALIZATION

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Any thoughts?

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

I say no to b

Re: The Lucky One: REALIZATION

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Okay, I must be crazy...

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

I say no to b

Re: The Lucky One: Whitney?

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Does anyone else think it's possible too?

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

I say no to b

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Im not really sure. Other people said Demi Lovato. But then again it could be anyone

- credit LongLiveTay13

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

It's about Taylor's fears.

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I'm still 100% with Joni Mitchell
    I say NO to bullying. I am FEARLESS. I wish to Speak Now

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Well, yeah, I think it's about a lot of different things too, but Whitney still seemed like an option.

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

I say no to b

RE: The Lucky One: Whitney?

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Okay, A, a couple of your lyrics are wrong, and B, some of these don't quite make sense.

In the angel's city chasing fortune and fame (By 'angel's' Taylor might mean church, where Whitney preformed a lot)

She means LA. Its nickname is the City of Angels. ('The angels' being the literal Spanish translation of Los Angeles)

It was a few years later, I showed up here (Maybe she's addressing the time after Whitney turned to drugs and her voice plummeted)

Taylor's talking about herself. When she showed up and how it was after the person either became famous or disappeared.

They took your money and your dignity and got the hell out (She turned to drugs, like I said, and they kind of ruined her career. Maybe 'they' is drugs?)

It's "How you took the money and your dignity and got the hell out". Meaning the person kept the wealth and dignity they had and disappeared from fame.

They say you bought a bunch of land somewhere (Maybe it's a reference to death? A cemetery?)
    Chose the rose garden over Madison Square (Maybe Taylor means heaven, or an afterlife reference, instead of choosing an alternate lifestyle instead of fame?)

Taylor's talking about how the person chose to live away from paparazzi and Madison Square and all that, not really death....usually when people die and it's not from suicide, it's not really their choice...

But I think you got it right... (If Whitney was an influence to Taylor, as she is to a lot of singers, maybe she's kind of commending Whitney on a job while done while she was famous?)

Let me tell you now you're the lucky one...(Maybe she means Whitney was lucky for her fame)

I think she's saying that the person was right and lucky to escape fame. She's saying that she understands now how hard it can be.

So I guess it could be Whitney...but my money's still on the theory that it's just her fear. :)
    And by the way...your eyes are dancing...

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I think she's talking about her fears, but I also think that she's looked up to someone to write the lyrics.
    I was thinking about Shania Twain (her husband and her best friend on the news front page), how she got away... 'Cause they're close, but it could be anyone.
    Maybe she'll talk about that someday, but I think it's a choice not to tell who she might be talking about :)
    I love you so much it hurts.

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You guys are probably right...probably a combo of Joni and her fears. I just thought in a very rare scenario, this COULD make sense.

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

I say no to b

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM

It's like, if you were trying to make the lyrics in a way less stereotypical and general way, they could equal that. But the general way is probably the best way, because what Taylor's probably trying to say is on the surface of the song.

1. SOUIAT 2.imeg99

I say no to b

Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I love this song. I think it's about more than one person. It seems like Taylor is comparing her own fears to things that happened to other celebrities. For some reason, it reminds me of Marilyn Monroe. I even googled the secret message in the song (Wouldn't you like to know.) b/c I thought it may be a quote, or song lyric, & I found one: "Wouldn't you like to know, maybe it's Marilyn Monroe." (from a movie Marilyn was in). She also sang "Happy Birthday" to the president at Madison Square Garden. But yeah, I think it could be multiple people Taylor likes/is a fan of, that she thinks about when she thinks about her biggest fear. It makes me worry about her a little. It's an amazing song though. One of my favorites on this album.
    "I'm never changin' who I am!"