1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

A Short story

Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:02 PM

This story dedicated to Taylor, all the swifties in the world and my family.
I will love it if you guys read this short story that I wrote. I want to be a writer someday or a teacher. Enjoy!
But please do not steal it and say you wrote it!!Please!!(I'm sure swifties won't ever do that)

Starts now!
The silence filled the dark room, only a narrow beam of sunlight shining through. I slowly walked around, looking for more furniture or supplies to bring to the new house my family was moving into. Suddenly, something caught my eye. It was the painting. I hadn’t been able to bother it for years. The painting and the intricate wooden frames were covered in dust, yet if you gazed at it closely enough, you could see the delicate, star shaped flower that was resting on the ground looking like an innocent little girl waiting for her mamma. I carefully wiped the dust off the painting, wondering why my grandmother had wanted to draw this flower so badly just before she died.

I was once a cheerful 10-year old girl who lived in a small, but cozy, country house settled on top of a hill. Our home was one of those old antique houses of which people would take pictures whenever they passed by. It was not very surprising since every one of my friends lived in a thirty-story building where they had all sorts of electronic devices to track invaders. In spite of the fact that my mother had always wanted to live in one of those tall modern-looking buildings, my grandmother insisted on staying in the house on the hill as long as she was alive. Granny, she was so different from anyone I knew! She was an artist who drew everything if it had something to do with nature. I had several of her paintings, on my pink-dotted bedroom wall, of a small boy climbing up a tree, a thunderstorm on a rainy day and a wooden boat on a lake, glittering in the moonlight. We would talk about the drawings and every time she would say, “It was so beautiful, Remy; the leaves falling off of oak trees, the red roses tanning on a sunny day.” Listening to granny’s little story, I always wondered what it had looked like in the old days. And at the end, she would sigh and say, “But now it’s all over, Remy. There’s no nature here and never will be again.” Granny was right. In the 2000s, there were various kinds of trees and flowers but later on in the 3000s, they had all disappeared, like they had never existed.

Each time I researched on the internet, looking for any kind of information about the flowers that I always dreamed of, nothing appeared on the screen except for ‘No Results Found’ with a red warning sign next to it. Granny said that the government got rid of all the documents about flowers because it no longer cared about Nature. I tried asking my best friend, Avery Clinestone, if she had seen any flowers, but it seemed like she didn’t really care much about them. Instead, she would brag about the brand new flying automobile that her father had recently bought.

It was December 13th and as I stepped onto the school boardwalk, it was snowing heavily. The crisp snow crunched as I walked through it helplessly. Just as I was hopping up and down on the snowy boardwalk, trying to catch the falling snowflakes, I heard a “Buzzzz!” in my pocket. I grabbed my phone, and shouted, “Answer!”

Suddenly, my mom’s face appeared on the screen.
“When are you coming mom?”
“Re-e my. I won’t be able to pick you up today. Can you ask Mrs. Clinestone to drop you off at the Hospital? I don’t have much time right now. I’ll tell you everything later when you get to the Hospital. Okay?”
“Is everything alright? Why do I have-“
But all I could hear on the phone was “Beeeep!’

I swung myself out of the car, yelling, “Thank you! Mrs.Clinestone!”
The shiny blue car flew away from the hospital, gradually fading from the view. I turned my head towards the entrance and quickly dashed through the automatic doors. I breathed heavily as I came up to the counter. The usual lady robot was sitting on her chair, playing Tetris on the computer. As soon as she turned toward where I was standing, I said impatiently, “Remy Sheeran.”
Without hesitation, she immediately replied, “Room B4. Fourth floor.”
I gave her a quick nod and ran to the elevator. Not even having time to pace up and down in the tiny elevator, in just a few seconds, I arrived in front of Room B4. The doors were open, and when I walked in, Granny was lying on the bed. Her frail, skinny legs were peeking out of the white bedcover sheet. She looked so weak and almost hopeless. She saw me standing in front of the doorway, and smiled widely like all was well and nothing bad was going to happen.

“Remy! How was school today? Did you give Avery the painting? I bet she loved it as much as you did.”
I was speechless.
As granny sighed deeply and straightened her back, I heard a “Hhhmm…” behind my back. I turned around, finding my mother standing awkwardly as if she had been watching us the whole time.
“We’ll be outside for a while,” then my mother dragged me out to the hallway.
“What is Granny doing here? She’s as healthy as a horse. She’s not supposed to be here.”
I was becoming really annoyed suddenly. My grandmother, who pretended like everything was fine when she was lying on the hospital bed, looking as weak as a kitten, and my mom not explaining anything about this to me? What was going on?
I took a deep breath and said, “Just tell me what’s going on.”
“Your grandmother has breast cancer. And the doctor says she only has a few weeks. I should’ve told you earlier. I’m so sorry.”

Later that night, I found myself in Granny’s hospital room again. But this time, I was crying.

“It’s okay. Remy. It’s okay. It happens all the time. Everything will be fine.”
I kept crying.
“Remy. I have something to tell you.”
My face sprang up at once and I blinked back my tears to talk. In the dark, I slowly opened my mouth, “What is it?”
“You have to promise that you won’t tell anyone.”
I shook my head up and down vigorously.

“I’ve been working on a new painting. It’s a flower that I used to love as a kid. Even though I have a vivid memory of what it looks like, I can’t seem to remember the name of it. That flower contains all my childhood memories. It will be my last painting and the most important. And I want you to find the name while I’m stuck in this room.”
I stared into granny’s blue weary eyes, shocked. If she hadn’t been able to find the flower, how could I? I sank into the armchair beside Granny’s bed, thinking no matter how hard it was going to be, and how many risks I would have to take, I would do anything to find the name of that flower.

The next day, it was snowing again. Recalling what had happened the night before, I marched out the door, trying not to think about all the terrible things that were going to happen after Granny went away. The first house I was heading to was Mrs.Biddle’s house which was two miles away from ours. Mrs. Biddle was a sweet old lady you could ever hope to be friends with. She was not only a children lover, but also irreplaceable lifelong friends of Granny’s. When I knocked on her door, she came out in her blue satin apron, holding a pack of her homemade cookies. Her face brightened up when she saw me standing in her doorway.
“Remy! How are you?” she queried in her sweet-old-lady voice.
“I’m doing great.”
“I’m so sorry about Dede; I just heard. It seems like yesterday we were in elementary school.”
I went into the house, took off my coat and my gloves, and sat on the couch.
“So, I just wanted to ask you about something,” I asked nervously. I didn’t know whether it was the cold weather or the anxiety that made my voice shiver.
“What is it?”
“Have you ever seen a violet, star-shaped flower?”
Mrs. Biddle folded her arms around her chest and stared out the window.
“Does this have something to do with Dede?” she asked as she narrowed her eyes. I swallowed hard and said, “No. I was just wondering” I hated having to lie to Mrs.Biddle.
She shook her head, and replied, “I’m sorry. Never seen it.”
I knew it was going to be tough. However, I was still heartbroken by that first rejection. I told her it was all okay and headed back home.
Each day after school, I went to a dozen houses of people I knew, but I could never find what I wanted. Some people even said, “Flowers? What’s a flower?” It disappointed me to learn just how much people didn’t care about nature anymore. But at the same time, I was glad I had granny who had taught me all about the beautiful flowers and the trees.

Both my mom and dad kept asking me what I was doing all day outside in the freezing snowy neighborhood. Each time, I had to make up a random reason such as going to Avery’s house to work on our history project. And they were not the only ones who kept bugging me. Avery never stopped complaining how much boring her after school hours had been without me. Just like my parents, she was intensely curious to know what I was doing. I hated lying to my parents and Avery as much as I did to Mrs.Biddle.

The howling wind swept right through me as I walked through the snowy ground. I firmly held my hat down to my icy ears and strode across the street, looking for any sign of people who might know the flower. For the past few days, I had walked up to strangers in dirty, weird clothes and even little kindergartners whom I bet knew nothing about flowers, and asked them if they knew a violet, start-shaped flower. Oh, it was obvious that none of them knew! Many of them just ignored me and walked away like I was crazy. I didn’t care if people thought of me as an insane girl who spent most of her days on the street, asking dumb questions to people. I just wanted Granny to be satisfied and content. And most importantly, finding the name of that flower was the only thing I could do for her.

That night, I went into granny’s hospital room and hung my coat in the closet.
Right beside the closet was the painting.
“Do you like it? It’s finished,” Granny said as she reached her cane and slowly walked up to me.
I could sniff and smell the fresh scent of the flower. It seemed like the flower was going to pop out of the painting and jump onto me in no time. The exquisite violet petals were attached to a firm green stalk under the scorching sun.
“It’s wonderful. I love it,” I responded in awe.
Granny slightly smiled as she quietly sat on the tip of her bed.
“Remy. I might be going away earlier than it had been planned. The doctor says it’s no use taking the medicine. So….you don’t have to look for the name of the flower anymore.”
Why would Granny just give up? How could she?
“Granny. I’m going to look for it no matter what you say. And I’ll never stop looking for it until it’s found,” I sprang to my feet and dashed out of the room, wiping the tears off my face when I heard Granny shouting my name in the distance.

The next day I was coming out of the house when I remembered that I had left my cell phone inside. Since I didn’t have much time and didn’t know how long granny was going to stay in the hospital room, I had to work faster. So with the phone left inside the house, I walked away.
By the time I reached a bright yellow building, I spotted an old woman crouched on a wooden chair. She had a brown scarf wrapped around her neck and there was a huge golden retriever lying on the floor right beside her. From the opposite side of the street, without even thinking what I should ask her first, I straightened my back and marched over to her. I could see that she was surprised by my sudden appearance. Now that I had a better look of her face, I realized that I had never seen her in town before.

“Hello,” I said as I tried to wipe the sweat off of my palms.
“Why, hello,” she smiled and said, “did you want to ask me something?”
“Do you live around here?” I quickly covered my mouth as soon as I said it out loud. Why would I ask her this stupid question!
“No. But I used to.” Thankfully, she didn’t ignore me or give me a strange look like the others have had.
Trying not to make the same mistake of asking a stupid question to a total stranger, I finally asked her, “Have you ever seen a violet, star-shaped flower?”
“Hmm….” She ran through her white hair with her gnarled hands. She slowly opened her mouth and said, “Actually. I have seen that flower a long time ago when I was a child. What was the name…..”
Then she clapped her hands. The dog became startled and started barking loudly.
“Oh! How could how ever forget! It’s called-“

I ran through the streets, passed my house and Avery’s, and finally reached the hospital. As I started up the steps to room B4, I could hear my heartbeats pounding like a beating drum. When I eventually entered the room, what I first saw was my mom leaning on the wall, weeping silently. My dad was shifting in place, looking very uncomfortable. They didn’t need to tell me what was going on. I already knew. I could feel my eyes filling with sudden tears and quietly hanging on my face. I looked at Granny, who had her eyes closed and was sleeping deeply.
I whispered to myself, “It’s okay. Remy. It’s okay. Everything will be fine.”

“Mom! The truck’s here!”
“I’ll be there in a minute!” I shouted as I held up the painting in my arms. I shifted my eyes from place to place around the dark room. Thinking back to when I had last seen my grandmother in the hospital room 20 years ago, I turned the painting so I could see the back side of it. Compared to the magnificent flower on the front, there was nothing on the back, except for a small writing that said, Calantha.

'Fearless' is living in spite of those things that scare you to death.

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: A Short story

Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Buuuuuump

Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:50 PM

i love that story i will so red ur books when they get published!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Thank you!!!!!!!!

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Buummppppp?

RE: A Short story

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM

your stofy is fantastic!
    drop everything now! Never forget how awesome you are!

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM

That was really good!

^dancingaroundallalone

Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Ah Thanks so much you guys

Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Wishing some other people would read it!!