Taylor Connect
    1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Then I met you: A Niall Horan fanfiction

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

This is my 3rd fanfiction. Enjoy!

They say that love hits you when you least expect it. I never planned on falling in love, and I guess I didn't want to. In my eyes, the best reality was the one created in my head. That's why I love writing so much, I can control life. Things end the way I want them to. I never had this in mind for us, and I never wanted you to go through this. If I was writing this as a fairy tale, things wouldn't have ended this way. I was content to live life alone, spending sunny days on that rickety park bench writing novels. But then I met you, and I never looked back.

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

Live in the moment because everything else is uncertain.

Follow me on tumblr

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: Then I met you: A Niall Horan fanfiction

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM

People from school always laugh at me for being anti-social, but I’m alone by choice because I love living inside my head. I spend most of my free days occupying a battered old park bench in downtown Chicago, typing away on my laptop. No one dares to bother me, and any attempts go unnoticed because I’m lost to a world unknown to them. Writing has always been a passion of mine, and sometimes it serves as a safety blanket. I can control the endings to my stories, I can control how my characters act, and I can avoid conflict if I want to. It’s as if I can control life itself. Unfortunately that’s not how the real world works, as much as I wish it would. Because if I was truly in charge of what happens next, that beautiful boy never would’ve sat down on my bench.

“Chloe, just get over it.” I thought. This has never happened to me before. People somehow knew this wasmybench; it was always empty when I went to sit there. Yet there he was, occupying half of it like he owned the place. I felt so childish for letting this tick me off, so I swallowed my irritation and sat down next to him as calmly as I could. He glanced over at me and gave a polite hello, which I muttered back as I tried to dig through my bag to retrieve my laptop and iPod.

After settling myself into a comfortable position, I flipped my laptop open and stuck my ear buds in. Even though I do this almost every day, I love the comfortable familiarity of it all. My fingers found the proper keys and began to fly around, typing sentence after sentence. I didn’t even think about what I was writing, I just let the characters do the talking. Before I knew it, I was completely lost in the story line. I have no idea how much time passed before the blonde stranger next to me decided to shatter my concentration.

“Whatcha listenin’ to?” He asked conversationally. I’m sure he didn’t speak that loud, but it was enough to give me a heart attack- I’d totally forgotten he was there.

“Oh…umm…what?” I said, still slightly panicked.

“I was just wonderin’ what you were listenin’ to.” He repeated, and this time I picked up on his accent. Definitely Irish.

“Oh!” I said, glancing down at my iPod. “I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz.”

“Good song.” He said, nodding.

“Yeah.” I said, starting to type again. I wasn’t in the mood for small talk.

“I’m Niall,” he said, clearly not catching the hint.

“Chloe,” I answered shortly.

“Chloe…that’s a pretty name.” He said.

At this point I gave up any hope of returning to my story and decided to play along. “Niall’s a very…um…original name.” I said.

He gave a light laugh and agreed, then asked “So what exactly on that laptop has you so interested?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know.” I said. There was no way I was sharing anything I’d written with him.

“Feisty, eh? But seriously.” He pleaded.

I blushed a little before answering, “I write stories.”

“That’s awesome!” He smiled. “Do you mind sharing?”

“No, not quite yet.” I said shyly. I’ve never shown my novels to anyone, let alone a stranger.

“Well that’s alright.” He said. Okay, I’ll never say it openly, but at this point I was a little intrigued with our conversation so I asked him where he was from.

“Mullingar, in Ireland.” He said, and I could tell he was proud of this.

“What are you doing in Chicago then?” I asked.

“Oh…well…” It was his turn to blush. “I’m a musician. I’m here doing a show and some promotional things.”

“That’s pretty neat.” I said.

“Yeah…” He thought for a minute. “Hey, what would you say to grabbing some ice cream with me?”

“Actually,” I replied, a little flustered, “I need to get home, I’ve already got plans for tonight. But thanks anyway. It was nice meeting you, Niall.”

“Nice meeting you too.” He said, blushing deeper. “Maybe I’ll see you another time.”

I nodded and smiled as I hurriedly stuffed my laptop and iPod back into my bag. As I walked away, I couldn’t help but think about how I might not want to see him again. But why? He seemed nice enough. Then it hit me, and I hated to admit it to myself. If I ever crossed paths with him again, I knew he’d be a threat to the comfortable lifestyle I set up for myself. And that just wasn’t acceptable.

Follow me on tumblr

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM

That is really good!!
    "Just be yourself, there's no one better."

Peace, Love, & Taylor Swift!

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM

My tank-top clung to my damp back as I trekked my way over to the park. Summer was definitely beginning to set in, as it was pushing ninety degrees in late May. Luckily the humidity wasn’t that bad, making it possible for me to comfortably write under the shade of an oak tree. I let out a small sigh of relief as the unoccupied bench entered my view. Figuring I was in the clear, I eagerly dug my laptop out of my bag. Hopefully today I’d be able to compensate for what I didn’t finish yesterday. The noise of the city gradually faded into the background as I became absorbed in my writing. Time seemed to fly, and I only stopped typing long enough to pull my hair into a ponytail in order to keep cool. I was extremely close to putting the finishing touches on a new chapter when a slushie eclipsed the view of my screen.

“What the-” I began, looking around for the source of my interruption.

“Just a little somethin’ to cool ya off.” Niall said, waving the melting substance in front of my face.

“Oh…thank you. You really didn’t have to do that.” I said, surprised, and gently removed the slushie from his hand. The cold sweat on the plastic cup dripped onto my lap, making me flinch a little.

“It’s not a big deal. My treat.” He said, sipping a slushie of his own, and I followed suit by taking a small gulp. Somehow, Niall took this as his cue to sit down and make himself comfortable. I didn’t mind as much this time; I mean, he did bring me something to drink. We sat in silence for a few minutes, enjoying the day and watching people stroll by. After I finished the last bit of melted ice clinging to the bottom of the cup, I grabbed Niall’s already empty one and threw our trash away in a nearby can.

“So,” He said slowly as I sat back down. “Are ya ever going to let me read those stories of yours?”

“Not a chance,” I said, closing my laptop and shoving it in my bag before he could grab it.

“Aww, why not?” He asked, using his best whining voice. I cracked a smile, which seemed to encourage him a little bit.

“Because I hardly know you, and anything I write is personal,” I said, then stopped for a second as an idea entered my head. “But, I’d be willing to negotiate. I’ll let you read one of my stories if you let me see you perform.”

Niall seemed to consider this for a second before smiling and shaking his head, “All right, deal.”

The sun broke through the branches of the oak tree for a few seconds, illuminating Niall’s hair. I spotted a patch of brown on his head and instinctively reached out to touch it. ”You missed a spot.” I said, teasingly mussing it with my fingers. He didn’t seem to mind the fact that I messed with his hair, he just smiled and studied my face intently. Being the socially awkward person that I am, I dropped my hand to my side instead of letting the moment continue. However, Niall wasn’t fazed as he responded, “Nah, I’m lettin’ it return to its natural color.”

“Hmmm…You’d look great as a brunette.” I said, pretending to analyze his hair, which made him laugh.

“Ya think so?” He said, almost hopefully.

“Definitely. Why-” But I never got to finish my sentence because another voice interjected with, “I figured you must’ve been out here, otherwise it wouldn’t be so hot!” Thoroughly confused, I twisted around and found myself staring into a pair of smiling green eyes.

“Harry, mate, what’re ya doin’ here?” Niall said, clearly surprised and slightly uncomfortable.

“You know him?” I said, my confusion deepening further. The curly haired boy named Harry gave me a strange look, like I was missing something. But before I could speculate further, he seemed to catch himself, shake his head, and return his attention to Niall, who was now bright red.

“Well…erm…Chloe, this is one of my band-mates, Harry. Harry, this is Chloe.” I gave Harry a polite hello while he smiled and said, “Nice to meet you, love. And Niall, I think the more appropriate question to ask is what are you doing here? I’ve been looking for you everywhere. You do realize we have an interview in 15 minutes, right?” Judging by his expression and a muttered curse word, he wasn’t aware of this and immediately jumped off the bench.

“Chloe, I’m sorry…” He began.

“No, don’t be! You need to get going before you’re late, I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.” I said.

“Well in that case,” Harry said, stepping towards me, “Until the morrow, fair maiden!” And with that, he landed a sloppy kiss on my hand and flopped an arm around Niall’s shoulders, gently prodding him forward. “Come on, Romeo,” Harry teased, pulling Niall towards a taxi idling a few feet away.

“See you tomorrow?” Niall said, trying to fight against Harry’s arm.

“We’ll see.” I said, squinting slightly in the sunlight. He seemed satisfied with that answer for now, and turned back to Harry, who whispered something in his ear. Niall listened for a second before laughing and playfully shoving Harry away from him. They continued laughing and joking around, even when they reached the taxi. I saw someone crack the window enough to stick their hand out and wave, so I smiled and gave a short wave back before they drove off.

Maybe it was the excessive amount of sugar in the slushie, but I actually felt pretty good. Of course I got nothing done, but a day off now and then doesn’t hurt anything.

Right?

Follow me on tumblr

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

The humid evening greeted me with a cascade of thunderstorms, a consistent event in the Midwest. I glanced over at my clock, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. 12 AM flashed back at me, faintly filling the room with tiny red pulses. Growing up in California, I experienced thunderstorms, but nothing like this. Thunder violently shook the whole apartment complex, seriously making me consider the possibility of the building collapsing. It wasn’t a comforting thought for someone living four floors from the top. Propping myself on my elbows, I kicked my feet over the side of the bed and proceeded to get up and shuffle to the kitchen.

I had to admit, for a broke college student, the place wasn’t bad. My Aunt Jenn happened to be the landlord, and if it wasn’t for her I would be sticking it out in a crowded dorm building. After working things out with my parents, she agreed to pay my monthly rent as long as I stayed in school and remained focused. So far, so good. I just finished my first year with fairly good grades and no trouble. Aunt Jenn knew I wasn’t the party type, and I think part of the reason she was so willing to pay my rent was because we got along great. She and I were mirror images of each other in terms of personality and looks; whenever I spent time with her, it was like taking a glimpse of the future. Even though my mom and I had a pretty strong relationship, sometimes I felt like she got frustrated with my seclusive tendencies, unlike my aunt. However, Mom always supported my writing career and allowed me to pursue it while I was at school in Chicago, as long as I double majored. Needless to say the past year was filled with endless hours of school, coupled with work. On a brilliant stroke of luck, I managed to land a job at the campus’ Starbucks to help pay for my tuition, and I worked there 5 days a week during the year. Fortunately my time was not theirs in the summer, and since vacation just started I was looking forward to a beautiful three months spent getting to know the city and finishing what I hoped was a literary masterpiece.

My reverie was broken by my beeping microwave, timed perfectly with the next crash of thunder. I cringed a little as the sound resonated in my ears before straightening up and removing my steaming hot chocolate. Chicago’s summer showers provided an amazing light show, and I perched on a windowsill overlooking several restaurants, ready for the next lightning strike. The scent of hot chocolate tickled my nose as I lifted the mug to my face, taking a cautious sip as a brilliant flash of electricity struck through the inky sky. Despite popular opinion, I didn’t always have my nose stuck in a laptop. What a waste it would be, considering I’d miss so many beautiful events like these if I didn’t look up and look around every once in a while. It’s so easy to miss small things that really matter if you stay busy all the time. And besides, many of the stories I write are based off of daily observations I make while I’m wandering around the streets. Haven’t you ever looked at a stranger and guessed what their life might be like, just by looking at them?

The next lightning bolt seemed to trigger the tornado sirens, which began to wail incessantly above the storm. I heard a soft knock on my door, and I opened it to see Aunt Jenn standing in a carelessly worn bathrobe, hair frizzing out of its bun in random places. “Come on,” she said blearily, “Let’s get down to the lobby.” We made our way to the elevator, our footsteps barely audible over the intensifying storm. I was getting slightly nervous as the elevator started its downward descent, silently praying the electricity would stay on at least until I made it downstairs. As the door slid open to reveal a crowd of just over 100 residents taking shelter in the pristine lobby, I felt a little exposed in my Batman boxers and matching black tank top. I clutched my hot chocolate a little tighter, taking a sip to diffuse some of my anxiety. Aunt Jenn patted my shoulder, gave me a small smile, and made her way to a coffee machine stationed at the front desk. More people started pouring downstairs, and I ended up getting shoved towards the entrance as the room gradually filled up. I watched the rain drum the pavement through the glass doors and listened to the buzz of chatter surrounding me. Right as I lifted the mug to take another sip, someone forcefully opened the door, which slammed me in the face. One hand still firmly gripping my hot chocolate, I covered my surprisingly un-broken nose and tried to blink away the tears stinging my eyes.

“Oh my God, babe, I’m so sorry!” A heavy British voice said, as warm hands supported me by my elbows. I opened my watering eyes to see a tall boy about my age, who had sparkling brown eyes that were currently narrowed in concern. Before I could open my mouth to say anything, a familiar shock of blonde hair poked around the stranger.

“Chloe!” Niall said, “Are you okay!?” At the mention of my name, Harry smirked and walked over to stand on the other side of Niall before saying, “Well, well, well…if it isn’t our little princess.” At the mention of princess, the boy holding my elbows immediately dropped his arms from my sides and turned to Niall. “You know her?” he asked, furrowing his brows. Two more boys joined Harry and Niall, confusing me further.

“Niall, are these your other band mates?” I asked, gently massaging my sensitive nose and flinching at the throbbing pain. Three of the boys I didn’t know stared back at me in shock before one of them recovered enough to say, “I’m sorry, have you been living under a rock?”

“Louis!” Niall scolded, slapping his arm, “Chloe, I apologize. This is Zayn, who you met when he hit you with the door, this one’s Louis, and the other one’s Liam.” Louis muttered his hello while Liam extended his hand for me to shake, and Zayn immediately blurted, “I’m so sorry, I should’ve seen you standing there. Are you sure you’re okay? We might need to take you to the ER, it looks like your nose is bruising. I really hope it’s not broken.” Great, I thought, blushing a deep red. That’s attractive.

“No, I’m fine.” I said, responding to Zayn. I took in the sight of each boy; all of them were dripping wet and shivering slightly. ”Are you guys cold? There’s coffee at the front desk or I can run back up to my apartment and grab some blankets and hot chocolate.”

“YES, thank you!” Louis said dramatically, but Niall glared at him and shushed him before firmly saying, “No, we only plan on staying until the storm clears out, but thanks.” I’m not totally sure I liked Louis, but I was trying hard not to make any assumptions since I’d just met him. I glanced back at Zayn, who had been studying me a little too long and realized it, because he immediately looked away in embarassment. Harry, feeling the need to diffuse all the tension, gently pulled on the hem of my boxers and told Liam, “Mate, have you seen her boxers? You guys would be so perfect, it’s a shame Niall’s already got dibs.” The humiliation was evident on Niall’s face as he turned the deepest shade of red I’ve seen yet.

“So…” I said, fishing for a new topic. I’d completely forgotten about my not-so-fashionable PJ’s, and now I was feeling really self conscious. Plus I needed a few seconds to absorb Harry’s comment about Niall. “What are you guys doing here?”

“Erm…We were on our way to a club and decided to head back to the hotel when it started pouring. This was the first place we came to.” Niall said, still flushed. The conversation came to a halt, but we didn’t have time to feel awkward because the girl living three doors down from me walked up to the boys and said, “Oh my gosh, is it seriously you guys!? I can’t believe it, I’m such a huge fan and I’m in love with your music. You guys are so amazing.” She kept babbling on while all five guys listened intently, and when she was done they each gave her a hug and thanked her for the support. As she was walking away, I could tell she was glowing.

“Wow, you guys must have amazing fans. And you respond so well to them.” I said. Louis looked at me with a dumbfounded expression, but the rest of the boys smiled and Zayn nodded and said, “We really do, sometimes their dedication gets really overwhelming.” Harry seemed to find this funny and gave a weird giggle, which caused Niall to laugh. He’d finally returned to his normal coloration, which made me feel a little more comfortable. Liam seemed distracted by the weather, which he’d been watching intently during our whole interaction. “Hey guys,” he said without turning around, “I think it let up a bit. Think we should call it a night and head back?” Louis immediately voiced his agreement while the others nodded and muttered, “Yeah…I s’pose…” I looked through the glass doors to see that the storm had indeed lightened up; the thunder and lightning had stopped, and it was only raining lightly now.

“I hope you guys get to the hotel safely,” I said. Niall apparently realized something and slapped a hand to his forehead before saying, “Aw man, if I had my phone with me I’d put your number in it so I could letcha know.” Harry glanced at him and said, “That’s the best you can do? For one, how many times have you seen her and still haven’t asked for her number, and for two, that’s how you decide to ask for it? By implying that you’d like to have her number?” He sucked in a dramatic breath to continue, but Zayn quickly interrupted with, “Don’t worry Niall, I got it. Mind putting your number in here for me, love?” Zayn handed me his phone, brushing his fingers against my palm. I handed him my hot chocolate mug so I could type, and entered my name and number into his “new contact” form.

“Damn, if she can type that fast, I wonder what else she can do with her hands.” Harry said suggestively. I rolled my eyes and giggled while I handed Zayn his phone. Judging by the look on Niall’s face, I wouldn’t be seeing Harry again for a while. Eyes widened in horror, he mouthed “Sorry” to me, which I responded to with a small smile before mouthing back, “I don’t mind.” I could tell he still felt uncomfortable, but his shoulders relaxed a little at my response. Silence ensued for a few seconds, but then Liam turned around and said, “Let’s go boys, before it picks up again.”

Louis almost immediately marched out the door without the slightest recognition for me, and my “Nice meeting you” died in my throat. “Sorry, he’s not always like that.” Liam said, giving me another smile and handshake before following behind Louis. Harry placed a wet kiss on my cheek, shouted “Night love!”, and ran into the rain after Louis. Rolling my eyes playfully, I turned to Zayn, who apologized one last time for the door incident and weakly offered advice on how to nurse it. Ice and Ibuprofen, always the way to go. It was finally Niall’s turn to say goodbye, and he stretched his arms out wide, as if asking for permission to hug me. I walked into his embrace and felt his strong arms wrap around me.

“Watch the nose,” I said, my giggles higher in pitch due to pain. I felt his shoulders shake in laughter, and he pulled away to look me in the eyes.

“Goodnight Chloe.” He said. “Oh, and nice PJ’s.” I just smiled as he started to walk away, but he turned around to give me one last look, wink, and a smile before pushing through the door and disappearing into the night. Zayn stayed long enough to witness our interaction, and he gave a curt wave before closely following Niall. Staring out the door like an idiot, I finished my now cold cup of hot chocolate and watched the last of the rain drizzle out. The lobby was officially empty when I returned to the elevator. I pressed the button for my floor and began reflecting on the night’s events as the elevator door slid shut. What exactly happened? Two days with Niall and we already felt so comfortable with each other. That’s probably how he is with his friends, and I’m putting way too much thought into things. The door slid back open, and as I walked down the hallway I made the decision that I would let things play out and see what happens. There was no use in getting worked up over this.

After returning to my apartment, I locked the door and placed the mug in my sink. I popped three Ibuprofin in my mouth and wrapped some ice in a small towel, tenderly placing it on my nose. Oh man, that hurt. Exhaustion hit me like a tidal wave as I entered my bedroom and read the clock. 1:55 AM flashed irritatingly bright as I crawled under my covers, still pressing the ice to my face. I didn’t even want to know what I was going to look like in the morning. After a few minutes, I drifted into a light sleep.

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Chapter 4

When I woke up to a massive headache the next morning, I decided it’d be a good day to lay low. Zayn really must have smacked me hard with the door, as my nose was throbbing painfully in time with my head. The towel I’d used to hold my ice last night was now soaked, so I tossed it carelessly to the floor and laid on my back for a few seconds, mentally encouraging myself to get up. Seconds later I fell asleep again, and woke up after rolling onto my face. A high-pitched squeak emitted from my mouth as I registered the pain, immediately flipping back over to make it stop. Eyes filling with tears, I grabbed my phone off the nightstand, turned it on, and shuffled over to the bathroom. Oh. My. God. Taking in my reflection, my phone slipped out of my hand and landed on the floor with a dull thud. My nose had swelled twice its original size, and would probably be cherry red if it wasn’t covered by the darkest shades of black and blue I’ve ever seen. Yup, I’m definitely not going outside today. Maybe it was broken…Just then, my phone vibrated violently on the floor, and I sighed in annoyance as I bent down to pick it up. An unknown number flashed across my screen, alerting me that I had an unread text message.

Pressing the “read” button on my screen, I skimmed the short text.

Hey love, it’s Zayn. Just letting you know we got back safely. xx.

I exited the screen and entered his number into my contacts before typing out a reply.

Hi Zayn! Good to hear. :) Hopefully that would be the end of the conversation. He was nice and obviously felt sorry for last night, but I couldn’t handle the light from the screen irritating my headache-ridden eyes. Plus I was still trying to wake up, and all of this was just not a good combination when attempting to be social. But alas, my phone buzzed again. What is it with these European guys? I couldn’t help but open the new message.

How’s your nose? xx.

Exiting from the text screen, I opened the camera app and snapped a crappy picture of my face. You could still see my nose really well, which was the point. I attached the image to a message, and then added- I don’t know, you tell me. Satisfied, I hit “send.” As if on cue, a knock sounded on my door. Seriously? Obviously someone up above didn’t want me laying around today.

Marching to the door and tossing it open, Aunt Jenn stood there mid-knock with a newspaper clutched in the other hand. Her mouth tightened in concern as she took in my face, and then suppressed a smile as I recounted last night’s events. “Oh honey…” she said, rubbing my arm sympathetically. “Do you think we need to set up a doctor’s appointment? That looks pretty nasty.” And that is precisely why I didn’t want to see anyone today.

“No, let’s just wait a couple days to see if the swelling and bruising go down. There’s not much they’d be able to do for me anyways so I’ll just stick with my ice and ibuprofen for now.” I replied. Even my voice sounded a little stuffy and nasally due to the constricted airflow to and from my nose. Aunt Jenn’s shoulders started to shake with uncontrolled laughter, but before I could make any sarcastic remarks she held the newspaper out to me. “Here,” she said, “You might want to read this. I was going to ask you to explain but you already did. If you need anything, I’ll be downstairs in my office.” I tossed the newspaper on my couch after shutting the door, figuring I’d read it after showering and getting dressed. Something vibrated in my hand, and I realized I was still holding my phone. “Zayn” flashed on the screen as I went to open what he sent.

Oh wow…I think the bruising really brings out your eyes. :) Seriously though, any way I can make it up to you? xx.

I hardly had to think before sending, Actually, yeah. I don’t feel so well and kind of want to keep to myself today. Mind leaving me to myself for a little while? There. It didn’t sound too rude yet it still got my point across. I peeled my PJ’s off and hopped into the shower, enjoying the feel of the warm water. My phone had stopped vibrating, and no one else came to my door.

Swiping the newspaper off the couch as I walked over to the kitchen, I glanced down at the headline, saw the picture underneath it, and immediately stopped in my tracks. No, way. I slammed the paper down on my wooden table and began reading.

PUPPY LOVE FOR BOY BAND MEMBER?

It seems that the Irish heartthrob of international sensation One Direction has been successful during his visit to America- and we aren’t just talking about his music career. Several people have reportedly witnessed the superstar working his charm on one of our locals; one of them even provided a photograph of the happy couple, who are featured above. Dedicated fans are beginning to speculate about this mystery girl and her intentions with our dear Niall, and to research further we asked the one and only Louis Tomlinson for his take on the situation. “Well to be quite honest, the boys and I don’t know much about her. We did witness them exchanging a cozy hug in her apartment complex last night, but Niall seems reluctant to approach the subject when we question him about it. You guys know as much as we do.” He stated.

I couldn’t bring myself to read more. How had I not realized? The strange looks the boys gave me and Louis’ rude comments made sense now. Louis. After seeing that he’d willingly talked to the press about this, I knew we would never get along. Anger began to boil inside me. What did he think he was doing? And then there was Niall. I don’t know why, but I felt a little betrayed and hurt. All these feelings began mixing together and before I knew it I’d jammed my feet into flip-flops, newspaper in hand. Slamming the door to my apartment, I flew down to the lobby, where Aunt Jenn was talking with a resident. She lifted her hand to wave, but I blew past her, pushing through the front doors and into the mid-afternoon sun. Sweat began to prick at the back of my neck as I marched my way over to the bench that had suddenly become so familiar to everyone in Chicago. There he was, looking comfortable with his arm hanging over the back of the bench, twisting his head around as if watching for someone. When Niall’s gaze finally rested on me, he broke into a wide smile and stood up, stretching his arms out like he did last night. As I came closer my furious expression became more apparent, and his smile faded a little.

“What’s wr-” He started, but I began smacking him all over with the newspaper. I didn’t care how many people were watching. “Argh! Shit! What the fu-” He yelled, flailing his arms everywhere in a pathetic attempt to shield himself.

“What. The. Hell. Is. THIS!?” I screeched, stopping long enough to let him look up at the paper before I shoved it in his face. Panting slightly, he yanked it from my hands and began reading, muttering the headline under his breath. His brows furrowed as he progressed through the article, and crumpled the paper up after skimming the last paragraph. “Rubbish.” He muttered, tossing it into the trash can. “Now,” He said, turning to me with crossed arms. “What are you so mad about?”

I stared back, flabbergasted, before angrily retaliating with, “What am I mad about!? Let me think. A picture of us is plastered on the front of every newspaper in the area, a member of your band coordinated with the press to create this article, and more importantly I’m hurt you lied to me. You’d think being a major artist is something worth mentioning.” Niall listened, frustrated, and opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it and said instead, “It’s okay to be angry, but think this through a little bit. Obviously I had no idea this was written, and I’m mad at Louis as well for contributing. I never lied to you about my job. That first conversation we had, I told you I was a musician staying here for promotions and a show. Just because you didn’t comprehend at exactly what magnitude doesn’t make it my fault.” Registering what he said, my retort died on my tongue because I knew full well that I’d lost. His last comment also stung a little, and Niall’s face softened as he realized that. “Look,” he said, ruffling his hair with his hand. “Let’s go for a walk. I’ll try my best to explain.”

For the next half hour or so, Niall related everything from the beginning of One Direction’s career on X Factor to landing in Chicago, pausing every so often to answer one of my questions, or to steer us down another street when he spotted paparazzi. “Wow. That’s incredible,” I said when he finished. “Maybe I have been living under a rock.” He gave me a short laugh before saying, “Nah, you just like to keep to yourself. Nothin’ wrong with that.” He paused a few seconds before blurting, “You have no idea how nice it is to meet someone who won’t scream in my face or get to know me because of my money or status. I just don’t think of myself like that. It’s too weird. You see me as a normal person, and you have no idea how refreshing that is.” Niall’s sudden outburst left me speechless, so I brought him in for a hug to show I appreciated what he said. “Umm…” He said into my ear. “There’s a pap right behind you.” Sure enough, I heard the distinct click of a camera right as Niall finished his sentence. “Screw it,” I said, squeezing him a little before pulling out of the hug. He smiled hesitantly, not sure how to react. Elbowing him lightly, I said, “Hey, don’t worry about it. Let’s just have fun, okay?”

“Okay,” He said, studying my face. Before the moment could continue any further, I began walking again, leading him towards one of my favorite landmarks. The Starbucks gradually moved into our view, relieving both of us with its promise of air-conditioned heaven. People were already staring by the time we walked in, but I tried my best to ignore it so Niall wouldn’t feel bad. I had no idea how he managed to put up with these privacy invasions on a daily basis. Swallowing my rising anxiety, I placed my order and waited for Niall to finish his while I was digging around in my pockets for change. I really hadn’t planned on buying anything when I stormed out of the lobby this morning, my thoughts were too bent on violence. “I gotcha,” he said, noticing my predicament.

“No no no, I already owe you for the slushie,” I replied.

“I told ya it was my treat, and you’ll just owe me later for the coffee.” He said cheekily, tossing a 10 dollar bill at the starstruck cashier. Despite the large number of people in front of us waiting for their orders to be filled, ours were ready in a matter of seconds.

“Maybe we should drink these outside,” He said, glancing around the silent coffee shop. A gaggle of teenage girls noticed that he paused to look around, and used this as their opportunity to talk to him. As they gushed excitedly, I sidestepped out of the way so I could remain unnoticed. I sipped on my iced coffee, watching in amusement as Niall blushed over their compliments and took pictures with them. After a few minutes he returned to my side, still glowing red. “Sorry about that,” He said, taking a gulp of his drink, “Now we can go.” I started to tell him it’s okay, I understand he has fans, but the first word was barely out of my mouth when the door opened into my face. Once is enough, but what are the chances of this happening again? This time, tears were freely streaming down my cheeks as my nose started bleeding. Fantastic.

“Oh, God…not again…” Oh, no. I knew that voice. Looking up through my watering eyes, it was like deja vu when I saw Zayn staring down at me in concern. Guilt washed over me as I registered that I was supposed to be “keeping to myself” right now. Karma’s a bitch.

“Let me see,” Niall said, rotating me in his direction. There wasn’t the slightest trace of a smile in his face as he said, “Yeah, you probably need to get to the hospital this time. Let’s go.”

“I’ll just take myself.” I said, gently twisting out of his grasp and blinking more tears out of my eyes.

“I’m so, so sorry.” Zayn said, clearly looking upset and at a loss of what to do. “Niall, this is my fault. Let me take her.”

“Let me get some ice first and then we’ll figure out what to do.” I said, wanting to avoid any conflict. When the cashier saw my bloodied nose, she immediately went to grab ice, and returned seconds later with it wrapped in a dishtowel.

“Alright,” I said, mustering up as much dignity as possible as I turned back to the boys. “I’m off to the ER.”

Four hours, five ice packs, and a broken nose later, I was staring at the ceiling of my bedroom, waiting for the painkillers to kick in. Aunt Jenn met up with me at the hospital, where she convinced Niall and Zayn that I would be alright, and that they could head back to their hotel. Thankfully, the doctor said my nose should heal fine since it was just a small fracture. Ice and Ibuprofin were definitely making my world go round at the moment. My phone buzzed, and I lifted it over my face to read what it said.

I am so, so sorry. xx. Once again, guilt boiled up inside me when I thought back to this morning. I was so embarrassed, he probably thought I hated him for the first door incident or something. Taking a few seconds to type out my reply, I ended up sending- Please don’t be. Trust me when I say karma came to collect. I’m really sorry, I planned on staying in bed today but that’s just not how things turned out. It still sounded lame, but it was a start.

Less than a second later he shot back, Let’s call it even since I hit you in the face with a door. Twice. xx.

Fair enough, I sent. Let’s just hope it doesn’t happen again.

I didn’t wait long enough for him to respond since I turned my phone off and threw it onto the edge of my night stand. Despite getting smacked in the face, it’d been a good day. Niall seemed like a really great guy, even if we were just getting to know each other. My eyes were growing heavier with every thought, and pretty soon I found myself drifting off to sleep with my sixth ice pack pressed to my face.

Follow me on tumblr

Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Chapter 5

Waking up the next morning felt like being revived after getting hit by a bus. Okay maybe I was exaggerating a little, but my face really hurt. Rolling out of bed, I didn’t even bother grabbing my phone as I made my way to the bathroom. It took a lot of work, but I managed to avoid looking in the mirror as I popped four ibuprofen into my mouth. I don’t care what cheesy paparazzi line donned the headlines today, I was staying put and eating chocolate ice cream in my favorite pair of sweatpants. Before venturing any further, I hopped into the shower to wash away the events of yesterday, running my fingers through my dark blonde hair in a sad attempt to untangle it. It’s amazing how much can happen in less than a week. Not too long ago I was incredibly bent on cranking out novels like a machine, and now I haven’t even thought about writing. My laptop was gathering dust on the corner of my nightstand. Flashing back, I realized I was right when I originally thought Niall would endanger my comfortable lifestyle. However, now that I’ve had some time to dwell on things, maybe he was exactly what I needed. We’re complete opposites, and that could be the factor that makes us so perfect together. Disturbed by my last thought, I shut the steaming water off and started drying myself with a towel laying nearby. I was getting a little ahead of myself, and that would only set me up for disappointment later. Niall was probably leaving soon, and would be nothing but a perfect daydream. There’s no way he’d want to keep in touch with me. Even if he did, he’d be way too busy for anything serious.

Pulling on a pair of well-loved sweatpants and a dark blue tank top, I stalked over to the kitchen and evaluated my cereal choices. I glanced at the digital clock above the kitchen counter as I poured myself a heavenly bowl of cereal, and almost dropped the milk carton when I realized the clock read 12:30 in the afternoon. Jeez, I didn’t realize I’d slept so late. Shrugging it off, I figured I’d get some writing done, so I retrieved my laptop and plopped down on the couch, adjusting so the computer balanced nicely on my knees and the cereal bowl rested on my lap. Slowly but surely, the amount of paragraphs grew as my Cocoa Puffs dwindled. I’d forgotten how good it felt just to get lost for a while. This particular story wasn’t anything special, just a small idea I was experimenting with. Even though I’m not necessarily considered romantic, I was always fascinated with how far you can test a couple’s love before it breaks. It sounds demented, but I find it humbling by how far two people are willing to go for each other. My current novel was centered around this whacked idea of mine, and I was having fun creating all the twists and turns. I couldn’t wait to tie it all together in the last sentence. A few words can change so much. Suddenly, someone rapped at my door, jolting me out of the comfortable rhythm I’d established. It was probably just Aunt Jenn checking up on me. Forming a reply based on my assumption, I felt really stupid when I blurted it into Zayn’s face after opening the door.

“Guess again,” He said through a small fit of laughter. Blushing beet red, I managed to reply with, “Oh geez. Hey, Zayn. What’s up?”

“Well, I decided to put my nursing skills to the test. Your landlord told me which apartment was yours, by the way. I wasn’t stalking you.” He said, looking down in embarrassment.

“Come on in.” I said, ushering him across the threshold. “I thought we called it even though?”

“My conscience didn’t.” Zayn replied, running a hand through his dark hair. His large brown eyes swept the entire apartment, as if soaking in every detail. I felt a little self-conscious about how untidy and chaotic it was, but he didn’t seem to care and actually smiled after a little bit. “I like it.” He said, turning back to me. Silence crept in, but after a few seconds I said, “So did you have anything in mind?”

“Actually, I do.” He said, waving around a few DVD’s I hadn’t noticed earlier. “I’m not sure what you’re into, so I grabbed a couple different things and hoped for the best. What do you think?” Shuffling through the different movie titles, I noticed he’d picked out The Notebook, The Hangover, some of the Harry Potter movies, and an obscure one I’d never seen before. I took a minute or two to consider each film, occasionally looking up at Zayn. After weighing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 in my hand, I looked up and said, “Harry Potter is always a safe choice. What do you think?”

“Whatever you pick is fine with me. I applaud your taste though.” He said, smiling down at me.

“Alrighty, we’ll watch this then. Do you want me to get you something to drink or eat? Oh, and it’s okay if you take a seat on the couch.” I said, reaching over to shut my laptop before making my way over to the DVD player. I hadn’t seen the last Harry Potter movie yet, and I was excited to see how it all turned out. Even though I’d read the books a million times, it was something else to see your imagination laid out on the big screen. Zayn flopped down where I had originally been sitting and said, “Maybe just some water, thank you.” While the DVD loaded, I strode into the kitchen and dug out a glass to fill with ice and water.

The Warner Bros logo zoomed onto the screen, and I practically shoved the drink in Zayn’s face as I scrambled to sit down next to him and watch the movie. Positioning myself at the other end of the sofa, I made it clear that we were only hanging out. As friends. Suddenly I felt a little unsure of myself. What would Niall think about this? Did he even know Zayn was over here? I guess it didn’t matter, it’s not like we were together or anything. But would this ruin our potential? I shook my head and returned my attention to Dobby’s grave marker. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Zayn waiting for my reaction, but I kept my eyes trained on the screen. Eventually the film progressed enough that we were totally engrossed in it, and were able to shake the initial awkwardness. We started commenting on things here and there, stopping only when I started crying over Fred’s death. If I was embarrassed after mistaking him for my aunt, this was another level. Thankfully, he politely ignored my sniffles as I mourned the loss of my favorite character. They didn’t even do him justice. Before I knew it, the credits were rolling and I hopped up to retrieve the DVD while Zayn went to the bathroom. When he returned, I made an offer for food or a water refill, both of which he politely declined.

“You should probably ice your nose.” Zayn said, examining it from a short distance.

“Probably.” I replied, making my way to the fridge. “Did you want to watch another movie?”

“Why not?” He said.

“You pick while I make some popcorn.” I answered, holding an ice pack to my delicate nose and digging around for some extra buttery popcorn. Finally I found it and placed it in the microwave, and then proceeded to dig for a large bowl and two sodas. “Is Diet Coke okay?” I yelled into the living room.

“Yeah,” he shouted back, and then I heard the dialogue of the first preview. A few seconds later the microwave beeped obnoxiously. Removing the steaming bag, I allowed it to cool for a little bit before pulling it open and dumping the contents into a plastic blue bowl sitting on the counter. By the time I planted myself back on the couch, the next preview had started. Placing the popcorn on the coffee table in front of us, I grabbed a handful and shoved it in my mouth. Zayn opened his soda, relaxing a little further as he took a sip. Even if we weren’t talking, the whole situation felt normal. Like we did this every day.

“So how long are you guys in Chicago?” I asked, helping myself to another bite of popcorn. Zayn grabbed a small fistful before answering, “Originally we were only supposed to be here for a week or so, but after giving it some thought we decided to take an indefinite vacation. Yeah it messes up our schedule and some of the fans are raging, but it’s been a while since we’ve had more than a day off. This gives us a chance to fly in family and show them around a bit. None of my relatives have seen America before so they’re going to be really excited. Chicago’s a beautiful city.”

“It really is, I’m glad you guys are taking a break. All of this must be exhausting.” I said, noticing the dark circles under his eyes for the first time. For a brief second I wondered if the same dark spots rimmed Niall’s eyes as well.

“Yeah, it’s tiring. But we love every second of it, no matter how crazy it gets. People would do anything to be where we are, and I’ll always wake up grateful for the life I’m living.” He said, running a hand through his hair. I took advantage of the silence to open my Diet Coke and drink some of it. Out of nowhere Zayn asked, “Have you lived in Chicago your whole life?”

“Nah,” I said. “I actually grew up in California and moved here this year for school.”

“Wow,” He replied. “What are you studying?”

“I’m double majoring. One for creative writing and another for education. My mom wanted to me to have a back-up in case I never make it as an author.” I said.

“Chloe, you can do anything you set your mind to. I picked up on that right away. If you want to be a writer, then you’ll be the best one the world’s ever seen.” Zayn said seriously, leaning in slightly.

“Thank you,” I responded, noticing the growing intensity of the situation. Feeling slightly uncomfortable, I converted my attention back to the movie, shoveling another handful of popcorn into my mouth, and took another drink of Diet Coke to wash it down. Using the corner of my vision, I saw Zayn shift awkwardly as he registered my reaction.

What just happened?

Honestly, I can’t even tell you what the movie was about because I fell asleep shortly afterwards. Waking up hours later to an empty room, I noticed someone had tucked a blanket around my body. A hastily scribbled note laid next to the popcorn bowl, and I propped myself up to read it.

Chloe,

You looked so peaceful that I couldn’t bring myself to wake you. I’m glad we got to spend the day together, it was a lot of fun and I hope we can do it again soon. Text me.

xx.

Zayn

Dropping the note onto the floor, I rolled onto my back and sighed loudly. I’m not sure how I felt about this whole Zayn thing. Don’t get me wrong, he’s phenomenal as a friend and I think in that sense we’re great for each other. But that’s all. Even though Niall and I were only in the early stages of a possible relationship, he was definitely in the picture and it made me slightly sick to think about his reaction to me hanging out alone with Zayn. Using my arms to boost me up, I walked over to my nightstand and turned my phone on. It started buzzing like crazy, and an unknown number flashed across my screen.

Hey babe. It’s Niall, Zayn gave me your number. You alright?

Entering his number into my contacts, I shot back a reply just seconds later. Thoughts started rushing into my head, jumbling together and leaving my mind as confused as my heart. I’m not the kind of girl to date two guys at once, and Niall was really starting to grow on me. Never in a million years could I bring myself to hurt him in any way; not after the effort he’s been making. It was my my turn now, and I was happy the boys were staying in town a little while longer because it meant getting to know him better. Not Niall Horan, the superstar, but Niall, the idiot who stole my park bench.

Follow me on tumblr

RE: Then I met you: A Niall Horan fanfiction

Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q565/louisloverbrit/onedirectionismylife-niallhoran_zps5e90efe6.jpg new banner!!!

Follow me on tumblr

Big Machine Records

Visit www.OnGuardOnline.gov for social networking safety tips for parents and youth.