1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

I need all your help! :)

Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:08 AM

So, apparently, We have this group debate on Saturday. It's a requirement for my English Course.
I need all the arguments I need to win this one. I'm the Deputy/Assistant Leader of Opposition. My role is to rebut(contradict) the Deputy Prime Minister.

Our topic is...ugh. Euthanasia a.k.a Mercy Killing.

I'm on the negative side (I was appointed to. But I'm really a pro on this issue)

This is my argument: (Please help me! I really want to beat those groupmates of mine who didn't listen to me when I asked them to put in a side where I can truly defend)

"Everyone has the right to life. Even though the chance of surviving a chronic/terminal illness are very slim. We cannot always resort to killing just to free one from misery and pain. Killing remains killing. The definition remains the same.

Euthanasia is considered morally and ethical wrong.. Because a person's death cannot be decided by any man. And the assurance of euthanasia succeeding with the patient's consent is not even absolutely true. Some of these acts are done by the doctor's influence. Instead of instantly killing someone which can still give an impact to the people around the sick person. We should just the double the care to make the remaining days of "living" of someone worth "living".

Is that okay? Please validate my argument. I really need all the help I can get before Saturday! :3 I'll appreciate everyone's effort. Feel to criticize my work my argument so that I can construct another one that is better.
I'll also appreciate some ideas that can make my argument so great that the PRO people will find difficulty to rebut it.

Follow me on Twitter:
www.twitter.com/arTS13
Paintin' the world of RED

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: I need all your help! :)

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM

The Buddhist case against suicide and euthanasia.

The First Precept.

The first ground for thinking suicide wrong according to Buddhist standards is found in the Five Precepts, in the first of which the Buddhist undertakes to refrain from taking life. In Buddhaghosha's commentary, 'taking life' is defined as 'the will to kill anything one perceives as having life'. Killing oneself, or killing another out of mercy, is not explicitly included or excluded from this, so of course it may still be argued that there is an unwritten assumed addition '...except with the consent of the being killed' which would justify suicide or voluntary euthanasia.

The Patimokkha

Slightly more explicit evidence for Buddhist opposition to suicide can be found in the Patimokkha, the summary of monastic rules. Here killing is one of the first-grade offences punishable with expulsion from the sangha, and added to this is

...and this applies also to a monk who incites others to self-destruction, and who speaks to them in praise of death, with such words as "O man, what is the use to you of this miserable life? It is better for you to die than to be alive!

( Buddhist Scriptures p.74, Conze )

Although this does not say explicitly that a monk who attempts suicide or seeks euthanasia should be expelled, it does seem to show a moral disapproval of suicide by discouraging the propagation of despair or the aiding of suicide. However, it does seem to be motives of despair behind suicide or euthanasia rather than the deed itself which the Patimokkha attacks. Peter Harvey comments that the recognition of dukkha in Buddhism means that suffering and impermanence are to be expected and are thus not an appropriate ground for despair. A Buddhist should accept and work with whatever suffering they find in their lives.

The value of a human birth.

Although the Patimokkha is only concerned with monastic ethics, this general argument can be extended further to consider the backward step one takes in voluntarily giving up life as a human being. Buddhist Scriptures stress how rare it is to gain a human rebirth, which offers the better conditions for making progress on the path than any other states within samsara (even those of the gods). The Bodhicharyavatara (the Mahayana text used for devotion by those preparing to take the Bodhisattva vow) compares the chances of gaining a human rebirth to those that a turtle, surfacing from the depths of a great ocean, will happen to rise at the point where a yoke is floating on the surface so as to put its head through that yoke. In the light of this rarity, it is very foolish to voluntarily throw away a human life. To live a human life where the dharma is available is also a great fortune in a world of immense ignorance, so if one has made even the slightest progress on the path this is sufficient to avoid suicide or any other voluntary renunciation of life at all costs.

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 1:33 AM

The Buddha told us that, it’s very difficult for us to gain a human rebirth or to be reborn as a human, this is the proof for this undeniable fact, that the population of animal are much much larger comparing to human population on the earth. In fact, there is about 900,000 different kinds of living insects are known recently. At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion ( 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 ) individual insects alive. While the population of human only nearly 7 billion ( 7,000,000,000 ). So if one has made even the slightest progress on the path, for being reborn as a human. it is very foolish to voluntarily throw away a human life by justify suicide or voluntary euthanasia.

Thank You.

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Kerta wrote:
    The Buddha told us that, it’s very difficult for us to gain a human rebirth or to be reborn as a human, this is the proof for this undeniable fact, that the population of animal are much much larger comparing to human population on the earth. In fact, there is about 900,000 different kinds of living insects are known recently. At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion ( 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 ) individual insects alive. While the population of human only nearly 7 billion ( 7,000,000,000 ). So if one has made even the slightest progress on the path, for being reborn as a human. it is very foolish to voluntarily throw away a human life by justify suicide or voluntary euthanasia.

Thank You.

And I thank you as well! :)
    Really Thank you ;3

Follow me on Twitter:
    www.twitter.com/arTS13
    Paintin' the world of RED

Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You're welcome, I hope that could help. :)

Thank You