1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Guitar Help?

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Hey guys.

So I am attempting to teach myself guitar and it's kinda hard for me. I can't get the chords clean, but I have small hands and am wondering if my fingers are too small. Can all guitar players help?

Thank you so so much, also please check out my helping thread called "Questions? Come here!" in the Off-Topic part of the forum.

THANK YOU!!!!!

-ducttapepenguin54

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: Guitar Help?

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I dont think its possible to have too small or too big fingers to play guitar. My fingers are normal size i would say and chords are my best thing!!!

- credit LongLiveTay13

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

i had the same problem, just keep on practicing!!!!!!!!!!! dont start with bar cords though, wait until youve got regular cords down before you star bar chords.
    ~I don't know why but with you I'd dance in storm in my dress FEARLESS~

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM

My advice would be to just keep on practicing and eventually you will get the cords clean and precise, no matter your finger size.

Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

The best advice for that is to just keep practicing. If you practice a little bit each day, your fingers will start fitting properly on the chords. While your watching tv or just sitting around, practice making the chords.

9.18.08 was a Fairytale!
    I was Fearless on 8.30.09!
    Long Live 10.11.11!

Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Thank you so much everybody! I will keep practicing.

And also do any of you guys want avatars?

Thanks for the help!!!

Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Omg! So excited I might get an acoustic guitar for Christmas!! So happy! Is it easy to learn or really hard?? Please let me know. Thanks:)
    1~LongLiveTaylorSwift&Swifties!~3
    Swiftie since 2006-7!!

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Yay for you, I think I might too! I'm awful at guitar so I can't give any tips...

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Playing a electric guitar is easier or buy a small one
    Lady's with me now, since I showed her how
    to lay her lilly hands in mine...
    And who would not agree, she's a sight to see
    and a treasure for the poor to find...

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM

i've been playing since i was 8, first i would start off with plucking the strings, then start chords. you will feel more used too the strings and it helps you learn how to read music

Credit to SparklyFearlessGirl13 for my graphic

Taylor Swift, I love you to the moon and back

love love love,

Meredith

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Playing guitar is hard for everyone at first, I have been playing for almost four years now, and banjo for 1 year. When I first started, my teacher at that time, made me do hand stretches at the beginning and end of every lesson. I'm not sure if that was what worked, but when I started my hands were tiny, but now they are pretty big and my fingers are long. Hope it helped :)
    I Spoke Now on August 27, 2011

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Thanks!

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM

I think the finger size doesn't matter... keep practising chords... there a re many easy chords like C, Am, D, A, Em...
    you need to practice, practice, practice a lot...that;s what i do!!!
    taylor is the best thing that's ever been mine.....

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I tried teaching myself to play guitar. It didn't really work out. Let's just say I ended up with a 3-string najo looking thing. I ended up getting a guy friend to help me out.
    Just keep working at it!

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM

it shouldn't matter how small your fingers are! if you can afford it i recommend taking a few lessons because i'm sure your teacher would help you a lot! i've been playing for a while so feel free to message me with any questions (: best of luck!

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I have been teaching myself, and I agree. It is not working out. So I'm gonna ask for lessons for Christmas. D's are reeeeeally hard for me.

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

It's because it's not clean.

Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Thanks so much you guys! I'm sitting here right now with my guitar, and I almost played a D! I am SO close!!!!

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

ducttapepenguin54 wrote:
    It's because it's not clean.

Maybe youre not pressing on the strings hard enough? The first week or two will be hard becasue your finger will be sore from the strings, but youll eventually get calluses and itll be easier. If youre not holding the strings down hard enough, it wont sound too clean, so maybe try holding them dow harder??
    ~I don't know why but with you I'd dance in storm in my dress FEARLESS~

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I taught myself guitar, but I'm not that good at picking! I suggest you start with chords... I remember at first it was really hard and I was thinking to myself, "HOW DOES TAYLOR DO THIS???" but then, I just kept practising and practising, and now, it's pretty easy now! :) Once you get the chords, you can start working on strumming patterns and such. It's really fun once you get it! :)

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

my nails often get in the way of a clean chord
    Swiftie, Potterhead, Mockingjay, OneRepublican :)