1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Getting ready for Christmas with my first cat

Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

First I'm doing the unfun things like laundry & cleaning before I dig into my huge pantry/storage area and get out my decorations. It's my 2nd holiday season in my own apartment but my first with my first cat.

I'm not going to decorate my fake tree I bought last yr right away because I'm not sure what my cat is going to do. I saved a paper roll cardboard tube to place over the end of the string of Christmas lights (I've taken precautions with other cords since I was warned that he likes cords) and I'm going to plug that into a surge strip so I can just turn it on or off easily. I have several safe ornaments & snowflakes to put on the tree, just not the lowest branches.

Worst case scenario the tree can only tip over all the way in 1 direction (it's surrounded by shelves, a chair & a wall otherwise) so I can get small hooks, fishing line and secure my tree to the nearest wall. I might put my Christmas Taylor doll (Red dress, sings Santa Baby) on top again since it won't affect the doll too much if the cat gets a little crazy, or I might just make a beautiful ribbon bow to tie on top instead.. I have a ssscat motion deterrent that I'm putting under the tree that will be on at all times (unless I'm turning the lights on or off). If I don't put her on the tree I'll put her on a shelf in her box.

I got my cat a little red holiday collar & hat set so once he has more hair on the ear that was repaired I can coax him into wearing it for a short photo session with lots of cat nip, treats & loving scritchies!
Jennifer

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Re: Getting ready for Christmas with my first cat

Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:01 AM

We scritch our pets too lol :D

Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM

lol
    tumblr_mdu3sq5oG41rju0pto1_500.png[IMG][/signature][/signature]

Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Got the laundry done & put away and most of the cleaning. I just need to clean in the kitchen after dinner and dust stuff & shelf space as I swap decor out for the season. I'm just taking a break for now.
    Jennifer

Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I decorated the top of my media shelves with holiday decorations now. The tree is up but I will not be decorating it at all for several days. I'm training the cat not to go to it with the ssscat right under it. I haven't put my makeshift tree skirt on it either. I need to secure it to the wall before I'll feel safe enough to put anything on it. I went ahead and plugged the surge strip into the outlet just behind the tree so it will be easy to turn the lights on or off and keep the cardboard tube over the plug & cord. I don't use tinsel cuz it's just a mess and it can be dangerous for cats. I'm trying to think festive but safe for the cat.
    Jennifer

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Well the tree is still standing, but I found him under the recliner when i got up about 20 min ago. I have a ssscat refill can sitting down next to it now so hopefully that'll keep him out of it or else I'll have to get a regular chair with ottoman. The recliner is old n broken and pops on its own, not good.
    Jennifer

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I can tell you that trying to make a Christmas tree cat proof isn't all that different from trying to make it baby and toddler proof, haha! My husband and I have for the past couple of years used a very small artificial tree that we could either put inside a baby gated area or on top of an end table where our little boy wasn't going to crawl right into it and knock it over when he got curious, or (more likely now) run into it and topple it over. Of course, little wire ornament hangers aren't exactly safe for little ones, either, and glass ornaments are just asking to be thrown somewhere or stepped on. So, yeah, Christmas decorations get altered when pets and babies are around!
    Illinois Country Fan

Thanks to Cali for the graphics!

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I just have this 6 ft tall green artificial tree that I bought for $20 last year. It's not a big full tree since my apt is only 425 sq feet.

The tree has been up for the past 24 hours without incident for being undecorated (thank you ssscat). I found an old fashion style lighted gold star topper at Salvation Army and paid less than $1 so that solves my problem of a tree topper. I also found a fringeless RED tree skirt so maybe Monday evening I can add the lights. I got a stocking just for my cat and it's so cute. I'll take photos when everything is done & set up.

I've been out shopping local today and got some amazing deals. I got some LED mini candles for $1 each but I had a coupon good for $5 so I only had to pay the tax in change! I have snowflakes & other larger safe things I can put on the tree (none on the lowest branches) so the worst he could do is get into the lights. The ssscat detects motion and automatically deters the cat away so it's staying under the tree. I'm reluctant to add anything to the tree until it has been secured and the ssscat remains under it.
    Jennifer

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I'm most worried about him getting into the lights (even more than the ornaments) since he's still into cords. I have a paper towel cardboard tube to put over the ground level plug & cord section (I'll probably need to tape that together in place). I'm plugging it all into a surge strip with an on/off switch that I can easily flip. My idea involves using several of my remaining zip ties to secure the light cording to the branches (the branches do not come out, they're attached to the stand and just bend). I can try to work on the zip tie lighting idea tomorrow while he's crated or I can shut him in the bathroom with his things so I can work in peace.

Lil devil pulled down the cords from the heat registers months ago so I had to cover those cords up promptly before he could do anything more.
    Jennifer

Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I'll be providing further updates about this on my TC blog so as I get more things done I'll put it on there. I'll take pics when I've finished decorating and get into a Christmas sweater with my Santa hat & dress up the cat in his collar and little hat next to the tree.
    Jennifer

Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I just decorated my tree! Check out my TC blog for the photos. I'll have to bribe the cat to wear his hat lol!
    Jennifer