Taylor Connect
    1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
    1. Attention Grabber - How to achieve: draw attention to your profile!
    1. So Popular - How to achieve: become friends with over 130 other Taylor fans!
    1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
    2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
    5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

Suggestion on stopping spammers

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 6:30 AM

1st of, let me say that i have to thank the 10 post rule. This is because the 1st thing i wanted to do when i joined TC was to make a thread immediately. That rule stopped me from doing so, which allowed me to familarise myself with the forum, and even make me a few friends :)

In addition to helping new members, it also prevents spammers from creating spam threads.

However, as much as this helps new members, i do not think that it is enough to stop spammers.

1. If i was a spammer, i could simply just copy and paste the same thing on an EXISTING thread over and over again.Then repeat and rinse on other threads. A spammer doing this is just as effective as creating many spam threads.

2. Mods are humans. they are unable to constantly watch TC 24/7. Moreover, it takes less effort to spam than to moderate. Which brings me to...

3.By the time the spammers are discovered, they would have already created like 20+ spam posts (might be exaggerating a little) and achieve their goal, which is to create trouble and frustration for those that actually use TC with a meaningful purpose.

IMO,the admins should add this. Make a limit on how many posts that can be made in a day (e.g 5 posts a day). When the threshold is reached, they are unable to post anymore until the next day. This would allow the mods to more effectively filter the spammers before any more havoc can be caused.

Tell me what u think of my suggestion. FYI, yo're free to express whatever opinions u have, no mater how negative they are.

Replies to This Posting

1. TC Founder - Joined the new Taylor Connect during the preview period (Feb 2012 - May 2012)
      1. Conversationalist - how to achieve: reach a certain threshold of wall posts on your profile from other users. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      1. Casual Poster - How to achieve: reach the threshold of 13 posts in the forums.
      2. Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      3. Super-Serious Poster - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      4. Slight Obsession - - How to achieve: reach a certain threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? You'll have to wait and see!
      5. Taylor Connect Is Life - How to achieve: reach a VERY high threshold of posts in the forums. How many you ask? It will take you a while to get there :)

RE: Suggestion on stopping spammers

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I agree, this would be good but I think the post limit should rise depending on what badges and unlockable points the member has.

Bit complicated but in my head it would increase at these milestones;

Be a member for 5 days
    Be a member for a month
    Be a member for a year
    Make 5 friends
    Make 15 friends
    Make 50 friends

and then raised a little more each time a new badge is earned.

A bit complicated though, not sure it's possible.

Re: Suggestion on stopping spammers

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

NO WAY. I'm sorry, but if there's a limit, I would literally die. I post on the forums tons a day, and you know how ridiculously upset I would be if I missed a contest deadline or posted a request late because I couldn't post that day? There are a lot of other people just like me, and I think it would really hurt TC.

1 - me; 2 & Avi - Kathryn

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

SwizzleKiss13 wrote:
    NO WAY. I'm sorry, but if there's a limit, I would literally die. I post on the forums tons a day, and you know how ridiculously upset I would be if I missed a contest deadline or posted a request late because I couldn't post that day? There are a lot of other people just like me, and I think it would really hurt TC.

1 - me; 2 & Avi - Kathryn

I can see where your coming at. But now that i have considered Clueless's feedback, i think that we could actually put the point system to use.

e.g, for every 5 points you get, yr post limit should increase.

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM

There is no easy solution. For every system designed, a counter can be developed.

That being said, a spammer's motive is greed - blanket as much as possible in as little time as possible. What's been done here is probably the "best" defense possible - changing the measures when needed means that a custom adjustment needs to be done to their scripts fairly frequently, and a lot more "expensive" on their part.

As for your specific suggestion - what's to stop a spammer from making hundreds of accounts?

Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Fireseal wrote:
    There is no easy solution. For every system designed, a counter can be developed.

That being said, a spammer's motive is greed - blanket as much as possible in as little time as possible. What's been done here is probably the "best" defense possible - changing the measures when needed means that a custom adjustment needs to be done to their scripts fairly frequently, and a lot more "expensive" on their part.

As for your specific suggestion - what's to stop a spammer from making hundreds of accounts?

While it is true that spammers can create multiple account, u got to keep in mind that it takes more effort to create multiple accounts to spam. Compared to using one account to spam. Unless your a really hardcore spammer, it is highly doubtful, from my POV that this will happen. Even if it does happen, the admins can use this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address_blocking

Overall, my suggestion is primarily directed to slowing down the spammers long enough for the mods to catch them.

Big Machine Records

Visit www.OnGuardOnline.gov for social networking safety tips for parents and youth.